Yeast mop-up ? or else I'm on drugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tw0fish

Reaction score
Got a great gallon batch of raspberry mead going right now.. I let it go til all the raspberries sank and then racked it off the lees and topped up with water. Now it's been a while since I saw bubbles from the airlock so I know the ferment has slowed down, but.. when I checked out some other stuff (all my bottles sit together in the dark so they dont get lonely) I noticed a kind of particulate matter floating in the mead. Better yet, it was.. swaying.. rolling slowly back and forth like a wave machine. I did bump the bottle pulling another one out. Anyway, it's mystifying and beautiful and had I had some homebrews before I went to look I'd probably still be up there staring agape.

Am I watching the stuff that settles out when the mead clears? Just curious.

Dude I made a huge bochet and the same stuff was rocking in mine. Just let it go. Take a gravity reading if you want, but the floaties will eventually fall out

Back