Yeast in bottom of bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
On occasion I have had some black gunk in the last of the pour. I can't figure out what this is. I don't really make dark beers, red at most. I want to say dead yeast but if anyone knows anything and can help that would be cool.

Just yeast. Everyone will tell you to pour the beer from the bottle into a glass being careful to leave that stuff in the bottle.

Yeah that's what I thought, it just is usually more the color of the beer. Sometimes it stays in the bottom and others it just doesn't with other batches. I usually refrigerate before drinking for about the same amount of time so I don't want to say that is it. My best guess Is that if I underpitched some that it does not form a solid cake in bottom of bottle.

The yeast at the bottom of the bottle falls out of suspension after going through the priming sugar to carb up the beer. It is unavoidable when bottling beer. You just have to pour carefully and leave the last quarter inch or so in the bottle.

Some of the Belgian yeasts get really dark after falling out of suspension. Of course, it also seems to cling to the bottom of the bottle the best, so it can be whatever color it wants.

I want through a period of time where I had 2nd gen slurry that was in fridge foe 2 weeks before I pitched it. The one that has the dark and yeast never sticks to bottom of bottle was Vermont IPA yeast from Giga yeast. It tastes fine but I think it was under pitched. The other IPA I made from that pack of yeast with a starter sticks to the bottom good and has less black. I guess they most all have a little.

Latest posts

Back