Yeast from a Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking at youtube videos of how to get yeast from a comercial beer bottle, has anyone done this?
Questions: (you can add to the questions)
How does the hops effect the yeast?
How long will it last in a tight container before I make a yeast starter?
Should I make a yeast starter then store it, and how long with a yeast starter last in a air tight container in the fridg?
Pros and Cons?

Pros and Cons?

If you need/want a yeast strain that you can't get any other way, or if you just want to do it once to say you did, it's worth it. Otherwise, it's way too much trouble, IMO. Be aware that when harvesting bottle dregs, you don't just make a normal yeast starter. You'll need to start small and use (probably) at least 3 steps.

this is just to try it, I am willing to take the time because I am retired and have the time.
the video from Bells is kind of what I have seen on youtube, nice video thank you.
As far as making a starter 3 times , not a probem. But is there a way a homebrewer knows how many billions of cells it will have. I would think that cant be seen by a lowly home brewer.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm VERY interested in doing so because where I live (in a small Greek island) I can't find liquid yeast. Even if I can find any in Athens it will take some days to arrive here. So usually I brew with dry yeast but it's not the best I can do. I read quite a bit about harvesting yeast from bottles plus saw some videos on YouTube. So, long story short...
I'd love to get some yeast from my favorite beers like Weihenstephaner or Paulaner, Chimay (especially the red one), Kozel dark. I read that some companies filter out the yeast, should I try anyway or this is in vain?
Also do you reckon 2 or more bottles should be enough?

Thank you very much!
Basilis

Last edited:
I read that some companies filter out the yeast, should I try anyway or this is in vain?

Some do filter the primary yeast. In those cases, you'd be wasting your time. So, do some research on-line to find out if the beer you want to harvest from is actually bottle carbonated with the primary strain. You can even ask the brewery. Many of them will tell you.

Also do you reckon 2 or more bottles should be enough?

The dregs from even one bottle can be enough. But consider that this isn't exactly like making a normal yeast starter. Since you're starting with such a low cell count, you'll need to do a multi-step starter, and the first step will need to be very small and use (preferably) a low gravity wort.

Back