Yeast for sumac wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
Posted this question on another forum but have not received any response. Am making a gallon batch of staghorn sumac wine and was asking about the best yeast to use for these berries. Typically, I would use 71B for most berries but I hear that QA 23 works well with sumac. In the end I pitched QA 23 but if anyone has made sumac wine what yeast would they suggest is a good choice? Thanks

Have you considered an Ale yeast like Nottingham? Nottingham doesn't strip much flavor away and ferments really well with fruit wine.
It has fermented dry for me to 15% before. Had to adjust acid and backsweeten afterwards.

Last edited:
Have you considered an Ale yeast like Nottingham? Nottingham doesn't strip much flavor away and ferments really well with fruit wine.

I did not consider using an ale yeast for this batch because I had read in Sui Generis Brewing that QA 23 has an affinity for sumac because sumac contains glycosides and QA23 is glycosidase-positive and it converts the glycosides into "flavourful components". and I was wondering if anyone had used QA 23 with sumac and might confirm the benefit.

I was wondering if anyone had used QA 23 with sumac and might confirm the benefit.
Someone here has used QA 23 I'm sure.
You seem like you've done your homework already. Is it supposed to make the sumac less sour tasting or is it meant to add complexity?

More complexity, I would think. Sumac is no more sour than lemon and if you steep the berries in cold water you don't extract the tannins so the must is quite delightful. I am hoping that the wine will taste as good as the must. But I will need to check the TA before I bottle

Happy to. It's now been fermenting about three days and what is interesting is that there is absolutely no froth or foam. None. But I do see the CO2 bursting through the surface in tiny explosions. Just tasted it and it tastes bright and (although still very sweet) quite delicious. I can see this being a wine to enjoy in the yard on a summer evening perhaps by a fire pit with some friends.

My current melomel is doing the same at 4 days. Plenty of fermentation. I did a protein skim boil of the honey otherwise the 71b normally leaves a thicker head in past batches. This was the first time I boiled it to skim the protein.
If someone else knows the mechanics behind it I'd love to know

Back