Yeast for Belgian Dark Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
I tired using wlp530 for 3 dark strongs and i couldn't get the attenuation I wanted I tried lower mash temp, more simple sugars, bigger starter, more pure O2, higher fermentation temp and nothing worked still didnt finish low enough so this yeast hates me what other yeast do you guys use I like wlp500 but is it too fruity for the style should I try the Rocherfort yeast

What attenuation did you get and what attenuation are you looking for? These two pieces of information will help with suggestions.

If you are finding your belgians boring and too sweet, try mixing it up with a blend of yeasts. My last 3 big belgians used both a typical trappist-ish yeast and some saison yeast. Gets it super dry and drinkable and can really provide some interesting esters. My Belgian Strong Ale won a best in show, despite it being over 10%. I attribute it to the yeast selection

I did an 'accidental' Belgian dark strong back in spring using Wyeast 3942 Belgian Wheatbeer.

It was writhin my first handful of brews or so and something went wrong with my 'wheat beer', totally missed efficiency. Being inexperienced and not wanting to lose the 5gallons, I chucked in a load of brown sugar.
Once bottled, I was convinced it was a drain pour. So harsh. But a few months of age, and it's one of my fav beers. Comparable (loose comparability) to Chamey.

Try it. You may like it. Dry finish.

I did a Belgian dark strong last month with Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity and a 2L starter. Took off like no tomorrow, and after 28 days, still bubbling. Last time I checked it was 9.7abv, and slightly sweet, but that was at day 18. I think it should finish nicely!!

I did a Belgian dark strong last month with Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity and a 2L starter. Took off like no tomorrow, and after 28 days, still bubbling. Last time I checked it was 9.7abv, and slightly sweet, but that was at day 18. I think it should finish nicely!!

thats the same yeast strain he is tired of using though

What attenuation did you get and what attenuation are you looking for? These two pieces of information will help with suggestions.

I like them to start at 1.090 and finish at 1.010 to 1.012 anything higher than that I think is too sweet i have no problems getting wlp001, wlp500, and wlp545 down that low with around the same SG. It always takes off like a bat out of hell and just stops. I usually start it in the mid 60s and keep it there first couple of days letting rise to 80 at the end of the week. Last batch I kept it at 80 for three weeks and still only got down to 1.016

Someone recommend holding at 64 for two days then letting rise on its own letting it get to 80 on day three or 4 but I dont want to create nail polish remover

no biggie, just wanted the OP to know in case he is really trying to steer clear of this yeast. Id be curious if he ran intot he same issue with the wyeast version though

Someone recommend holding at 64 for two days then letting rise on its own letting it get to 80 on day three or 4 but I dont want to create nail polish remover

This is good advice with nearly any belgian beer. I pitch mine in the mid 60s and just let it free rise. I stick a winter jacket on it to help it keep the heat trapped in. The only time ive gotten bad off flavors was from multiple large temperature fluctuations up and down early on in fermentation.

I would note also that 3-4 days into active activity, you are pretty clear of the off-flavors territory. Letting it warm will help the yeast finish. Saisons you can heat up even farther

You could always reserve some of the wort to make a starter to pitch in day 2. Have you given move oxygen 12 or so hours in?

I like them to start at 1.090 and finish at 1.010 to 1.012 anything higher than that I think is too sweet i have no problems getting wlp001, wlp500, and wlp545 down that low with around the same SG. It always takes off like a bat out of hell and just stops. I usually start it in the mid 60s and keep it there first couple of days letting rise to 80 at the end of the week. Last batch I kept it at 80 for three weeks and still only got down to 1.016

64 won't make nail polish remover. Don't a lot of Belgian yeasts fall in the temp range up to mid 70s? I'd hold one at 70 and let it ride instead of doing the cold/hot temp flux and see what happens. Bottle it up and age it 6 months to see what it tastes like.

If you are finding your belgians boring and too sweet, try mixing it up with a blend of yeasts. My last 3 big belgians used both a typical trappist-ish yeast and some saison yeast. Gets it super dry and drinkable and can really provide some interesting esters. My Belgian Strong Ale won a best in show, despite it being over 10%. I attribute it to the yeast selection

May I ask witch yeast you blended

no biggie, just wanted the OP to know in case he is really trying to steer clear of this yeast. Id be curious if he ran intot he same issue with the wyeast version though

I think 3787 is better than WLP530

May I ask witch yeast you blended

I've toyed around with WLP530 & WLP565, WLP530 & WLP566, WY3864 & WLP566, and WY3864 & YB Wallonian Farmhouse. The 3rd one got the most awards. Ive found you really cant go wrong. I try to pair the fruitier "trappist" style yeasts with the frutier saison strains and the spicier ones similarly. I wrote about it a bit in this thread

Back