Yeast for a cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all.

Looking to make my first Cyser. I plan on the following

5 Gal apple cider
10-12 lbs wild flower honey.
DAP and yeast nutrient in staggered editions.

has anyone ever used S-04 yeast for a cyser?

thanks.

Can S-04 handle ABV that high? I'm seeing that you can baby it to 8.5, which would leave you incredibly sweet, like put it on your pancakes sweet.

You're going to want some decent tolerance wine yeast; Red Star's Pasteur Red has done some really great things for me lately.

Both cysers I've made have been done with Cotes De Blancs, but you MUST keep you ferment temps down. That yeast goes crazy with apples and throws out serious fussels. It will ferment in under 2 weeks with SNA. But again, watch your fussel production with CdB.

I have used S-04 for several cysers, but not with and ABV that high. I think the highest OG I did was 1.080 and it worked fine.

I am a fan of lalvin wine yeasts. One of my favorites is 71b-1112 but that yeast metabolizes malic acid and so to bring out a little more apple flavor you may need to add some back after fermentation.

Another that has done well for me and may be good in a cyser is Lalvin RC212. It produces a very low amount of SO2 and H2S which can be an issue with Cysers. RC212 is also really good at color retension and emphasizing fruity aromas.

Hi all.

Looking to make my first Cyser. I plan on the following

5 Gal apple cider
10-12 lbs wild flower honey.
DAP and yeast nutrient in staggered editions.

has anyone ever used S-04 yeast for a cyser?

thanks.

I don't think S04, or any ale yeast will give you what you want in a cyser, but it really depends on what you want for your end product. You want it dry, semisweet, still, sparkling? I won't use D47 anymore, it throws too many fusels & takes a long time to age them out. Might work well if you can ferment on the cool side & maintain the temp.

71B will metabolize some, if not most of the malic acid in your juice, which will "soften" your cyser. Which is great if that's what you want, but malic acid is a big part of what make an apple taste like an apple; soft apple wine tastes like a wet dishrag to me.

K1-V1116 is a beast & will take your cyser dry & will give you a nice, appley, fruity flavour.

EC-1118 is also a good choice & will take your cyser dry. I've had good results with both K1-V1116 and EC-1118 & have pushed them to 18.75% ABV. I got good flavour from both too. I've used EC-1118 for sparkling wines too.

Here's the info from the horse's mouth:
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp#

Choose your yeast like you would choose a tool.
Regards, GF.

The best I've ever used for cider or cyser is White Labs English Cider strain (I think it is WLP 775...). Best ever for fermenting an apple based must!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I used 71b-1122 in a cyser, and it ended up losing some apple character. I ended up backsweetening with apple juice concentrate until it was about right. Still made some great cyser though :)

Back