Yeast culture question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
On Friday I harvested yeast from three bottles of bells two hearted and began my first try at culturing. Started with 200ml water/20g DME. Two days later I stepped up to 400ml water/40g DME. Two days later stepped it up to 400ml water/80g DME.

The experiment appears to be working. I had excellent activity and the fermentation was generating what I can only describe as a creamy froth atop the brew about 1/2" thick. It looked like a creamy head on a beer. Throughout each step I noticed no airlock activity - nothing was escaping. I was using one of those airlocks with the two chambers. I checked and it was not clogged so I presume there just wasn't enough pressure to release the gas. I changed to the conventional airlock with the one chamber and immediately noticed that when I pulled the old lock off a lot of gas released. Now, with the new airlock I have good bubbling and a thin layer of activity atop the starter - more like I am accustomed to seeing.

My question is would the lack of gas escaping cause any problems with this starter either in terms of taste or otherwise? Thanks in advance.

Don't put an airlock on the starter, use a piece of aluminum foil that fits loosely around the mouth of the Erlenmeyer/jar/jug. This way oxygen can get in and airborne bacteria can't. As far as the lack of airlock activity I wouldn't worry about it. If you can see fermentation taking place that is a much better indicator, especially if there is a thick layer of sediment at the bottom of your container. Sounds like you successfully harvested yeast from the original bottle, congrats!

Back