yeast activity resumes after gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8rbama

Reaction score
Last night, I threw some gelatin into a light lawnmower beer for tailgating. All activity had stopped before I put the gelatin in. This morning, it's crystal clear, I can see straight through the carboy. However, it's bubbling again. Pretty regular too, about 30 second intervals. Should I wait until this bubbling stops before racking to the keg?

a few hydrometer readings will tell you if its ready. airlock activity is a poor indicator of fermentation ending.

Not feasible considering I broke my hydrometer about 4 brews ago:eek::cross: and since I decided I was stressing out over it too much, I have failed to get a replacement. LHBS is over an hour away, and I doubt I'll be up there within the next week.

I'll have one when I bite the bullet and go AG.

I guess just go ahead and keg 'er up? I sanitized the turkey baster earlier and stole a sample, it tastes damn good like it is.

Here's a couple of pics. My good Canon is in the shop and I can't get the non-flash to come out clear. First one has the flash, you can't see how clear it is, second is my feeble attempt to photograph my hand on the other side of the carboy.

p1010008zz0.jpg

p1010010pv4.jpg

It's done. Even if it was fermenting a bit (and I suspect it is just out-gassing), it will be fine in the keg.

david_42 said:
It's done. Even if it was fermenting a bit (and I suspect it is just out-gassing), it will be fine in the keg.

Agree. Its done and you've got some off-gassing of CO2 likely instigated by the gelatin addition.

I figured that might be it and I just racked into the keg about 5 minutes ago. However, that aggressive bubbling was still happening when I started to keg, a full 24 hours since the gelatin was introduced. The carboy was sitting on the kitchen table a full 48 hours before I did the gelatin, and another 24 before racking to the keg.

I will say that a squirt from the picnic tap after purging was tasting damn fine. So damn fine that I went to get a pint glass. To say the least, I'm feeling it right now, maybe I do need to get on that hydrometer procurement so I can know how little I need to drink. It may look light, it may taste light, but it's making my body pretty damn heavy right about now.:fro::drunk:

Back