yard sale score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I have been having trouble with my rectangular mash tun and unpredictable runoffs. I was going to build a manifold (to replace the ss braid) but figured i would give the round cooler type a try as well. I have been having trouble finding a 10 gal round cooler for a reasonable price. Today i drove by a yard sale and saw one for sale. I picked it up for $10 which was nice. He had a five gallon one too which i figured i would buy as well, maybe for some partial mashes or smaller batches as it was only $5.

As much as I hate going to garage sales, now I dont mind going as much hoping to find some more beer stuff. Last week I picked up a outdoor fryer that looked like poo, he had it marked for 10 bucks. I noticed that it had the old style tank connector on it and offered him 5, he said sold, I brought it home and stole the newer fitting off the grill and brewed up a batch. It's a godsend compared to the stove top. I have been keeping my eyes open for beer stuff lol

DaveT said:
... I noticed that it had the old style tank connector on it ...

Since a lot of people still have old grills with the old style connectors most newer propane tanks accommodate both. The Blue rhino exchange tanks I get have both the inner thread for the old style and the big outer threads for the newer connectors.

tbulger said:
I have been having trouble with my rectangular mash tun and unpredictable runoffs. I was going to build a manifold (to replace the ss braid) but figured i would give the round cooler type a try as well. I have been having trouble finding a 10 gal round cooler for a reasonable price. Today i drove by a yard sale and saw one for sale. I picked it up for $10 which was nice. He had a five gallon one too which i figured i would buy as well, maybe for some partial mashes or smaller batches as it was only $5.
Excellent.

I use my smaller 5-gallon as a prechiller now that I've moved to 10-gallon batches.

Biermuncher wheres that picture of your manifold? I wanted to make something similar.

tbulger said:
Biermuncher wheres that picture of your manifold? I wanted to make something similar.

Here ya go.

Some scrap plumbing and a hack saw. Keep the slots on the underside of the pipes to prevent sticking.

Manifold_Unfiltered.JPG

camiller said:
Since a lot of people still have old grills with the old style connectors most newer propane tanks accommodate both. The Blue rhino exchange tanks I get have both the inner thread for the old style and the big outer threads for the newer connectors.

Hey thanks for the tip I will check it out tomorrow and possibly get the grill functional again lol

Back