Yakima Valley Hops HopBox

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_ATL73

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Yakima Valley Hops HopBox subscription? Just curious if its worth it or what its all about. Ive bought bulk from them before and their hops seem to be great quality

Got a subscription last year for Christmas, and I'm actually having my last box delivered today. I was overall very pleased with it. My one complaint is that with only 2 oz of each variety you don't have enough to really showcase a certain hop in any particular brew.

Gotcha- how many 2 oz packs come in a box? Do they come in variety that match a style each month or is it all over the place?

Gotcha- how many 2 oz packs come in a box? Do they come in variety that match a style each month or is it all over the place?

Each box had similar varieties. My first one was full of Neomexicanus and experimental hops, the next one was European Noble hops and similar, and the third one had a lot from the New Zealand harvest.

I think the hop box idea is great for some brewers. When you only get 2 oz per variety, definitely scale back on batch size for at least some of those if you can't or don't want to use 2 or more together.

The bigger Q is would you be better off selecting and buying your own choice, like right now (lots of Aussie and NZ hops) and/or within the next 3 months (2019 U.S./European hops are still being pelletized). Then you can buy the varieties in quantities you want and need.

I just bought a boatload of different NZ hops just to try them out in 2-2.5 gallon batches of single hop beers. Brewing a large batch of the same base wort, boiled with a small neutral bittering charge (Warrior) at say 15 IBU. Chilled somewhat, then split into smaller individually hopped batches using whirlpool/dry hop. Same yeast (WY1318).

With the small parcels, you probably won't mind that their packaging punctures itself! They claimed they were changing packaging 2 years ago but nope. So be ready to repackage on arrival

I think the hop box idea is great for some brewers. When you only get 2 oz per variety, definitely scale back on batch size for at least some of those if you can't or don't want to use 2 or more together.

The bigger Q is would you be better off selecting and buying your own choice, like right now (lots of Aussie and NZ hops) and/or within the next 3 months (2019 U.S./European hops are still being pelletized). Then you can buy the varieties in quantities you want and need.

I just bought a boatload of different NZ hops just to try them out in 2-2.5 gallon batches of single hop beers. Brewing a large batch of the same base wort, boiled with a small neutral bittering charge (Warrior) at say 15 IBU. Chilled somewhat, then split into smaller individually hopped batches using whirlpool/dry hop. Same yeast (WY1318).
Thats a great idea. For me it will probably be more cost effective to buy the hops i typically use in bulk. May try it out im not sure

With the small parcels, you probably won't mind that their packaging punctures itself! They claimed they were changing packaging 2 years ago but nope. So be ready to repackage on arrival
Interesting. I typically buy 8 or 16 oz and vacuum seal portions anyway

Here is today's box, a mix from the 2019 harvest.
20191101_194112.jpg

They added a 9th pouch of hops as extra swag to go along with the bandana and stickers.

Nice. I like the mix. I guess it was good timing asking about this today! You make any interesting brews with the mixes they've supplied?
I made a black IPA using Sabro and Zappa from my first box that came out really good. I also made an all Idaho IPA with Idaho Gem and Idaho 7 that was quite good too.

Latest posts

Back