Yakima Valley ADHA hop pack? (Azacca, Jarrylo, Pekko and Summit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
In the interest of stretching my homebrew dollar, I'm looking to make a bulk hop order from Yakima Valley. I've got about $30 to spend, and I'm looking for some advice.

YVH has some variety packs that seem like a decent value. However, the pack I'm eyeing, I've never used any of these hops (ADHA: Azacca, Jarrylo, Pekko and Summit). The pack has 8 oz of each of these for around $27, plus $7 shipping. I've researched each one and they seem like what I'm looking for (tropical, melon, citrus, etc), but again, I've never used them.

I can either get these four 8 oz bags of the ADHA hops OR go with 8 oz citra and another 8 oz cascade.

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Summit is a great hop for bittering. I have used it several times and it is in my top three high aa% hops.

The others I haven't used but from all I've read are quite popular with strong flavor and aroma contributions. I can't recall what profile each is giving as far as flavor or aroma.

$27 for 2# of hops is a very good deal.

I had a variety pack IPA beer by Sierra Nevada and the all dwarf hop on was my favorite. I recommend buying that deal and using them combined in beer.

Thanks for the responses. There is also a $20 "IPA Superstar" pack that has 2 oz each of Azacca, Cascade, Centennial, Citra, El Dorado, Jarrylo, Mosaic, Nugget, Warrior and Willamette. So it's less quantity but more variety and more of what I'm looking for.

Decisions, decisions...

Pekko is a very interesting hop. High AA and some a special hop profile. I have used it once in a recipe which I am gonna brew again for a few people.

2000 gr Dingemans Pale
1000 gr Maris Otter
1000 gr Munich
250 gr Wheat
250 gr Crystal 60 L
250 gr Biscuit
250 gr Carapils
150 gr Candi Rocks 275 L
..............................................................................................
Hops
25 gr Pekko 45 minutes
25 gr Simcoe 5 minutes

25 gr Pekko Flameout
25 gr Simcoe Flameout
25 gr Amarillo Flameout
25 gr Au35 Flameout

75 gr Amarillo Dry hopping
75 gr Au35 Dry hopping
75 gr Pekko Dry hopping

Also check out some other options like Hops direct or 47 hops. I have gotten some great pricing on hops from both of them. I like and use Yakima Valley but the other two are often well below YV in price. Ex. I just ordered some Azecca from hops direct for 13.50 or so a pound. Its on sale at YV for 20.

just pay attention to shipping. HopsDirect is more expensive than YVH. For a lb of azacca from each, its actually $.26 cheaper for me from YVH even though the cost of the hops are $6 more.

I loved the IPA Superstar pack! I have used everything but the Nugget hops so far, but have been very pleased with all of their hop varities.

My favorite use so far was a Jarrylo/Azacca Saison that I did. I've been looking to rebrew it, so thanks for pointing out the ADHA pack.

Recipe is below:

5.5 Gallon - OG 1.063
  • 10# 2 Row
  • 2# White Wheat
  • 0.5# Victory Malt
  • 0.5oz Jarrylo @15 - 13.2AA
  • 0.5oz Azacca @ 15 - 13.7AA
  • 0.5oz Jarrylo @ Flame Out - 20 Minute Whirlpool
  • 0.5oz Azacca @ Flame Out - 20 Minute Whirlpool
  • Dry Hop with 1oz each Jarrylo & Azacca for 5 Days.
Cool to 68° F, pitch Belle Saison yeast, and let free rise. Ferment until stable gravity readings 4 days apart. (Mine got down to 1.002 over 16 days. Cold crash for 48 hours before bottling/kegging.

Hops direct ships fed ex which is expensive, YVH is flat rate so 4 lb of hops can be $7. Fed ex starts at $13 I think for anything.

I know this post is pretty dead, but figured I would share some info anyway.

I also bought the 4-pack with Pekko hops and recently used them as the lone hop in a Czech-inspired pilsner. I think it turned out well and definitely has a lot of noble hop characteristics. Last year, I made a similar beer with only Spalt Spalter, and I’m a little stunned by how similar the two taste. To me, the Pekko has a bit more citrus — like lemon peel — than the Spalter had. I can see this hop fairly easily complementing or substituting for noble varieties in other styles and that’s probably how I’ll continue to use it in the future.

I know this post is pretty dead, but figured I would share some info anyway.

I also bought the 4-pack with Pekko hops and recently used them as the lone hop in a Czech-inspired pilsner. I think it turned out well and definitely has a lot of noble hop characteristics. Last year, I made a similar beer with only Spalt Spalter, and I’m a little stunned by how similar the two taste. To me, the Pekko has a bit more citrus — like lemon peel — than the Spalter had. I can see this hop fairly easily complementing or substituting for noble varieties in other styles and that’s probably how I’ll continue to use it in the future.

I didn't end up getting that particular pack but got another with some of the same hops, excluding Pekko. I'm curious -- what did you use the Jarrylo for, and how did it turn out?

Latest posts

Back