xm or sirius???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico6115

Reaction score
anybody have one of these? im hinting one for xmas and just cant make up my mind. i know one has opie and anthony and one howard stern. i love opie and anthony and can care less for howard, but when it comes to music who's service is better. im into more of the jamband/bluegrassy scene. also nfl and nhl anything buffalo teams is another thing im keying into. what about the players and car kits...can someone please help me out here!

Go with Sirus...I own their stock.

No, really I think XM is the better choice from what I've heard, but it may not matter much longer if they ever get approval on that merger they've been pushing for, for the last year. But, I've never used either.:confused:

Sirius has all sports with the exception of MLB.

Music selection is pretty decent, but I don't listen to any jam bands. There's a dedicated Grateful Dead channel as well as dedicated Jam Band channel that I know of.

However, the merger could be happening soon.

We have both, XM in SWMBO's car and Sirius in my Jeep. Sirius is superior, IMHO. Better music channels, better comedy channels, and better sports.

I wouldn't give up the NFL Network channel or the NFL games (every game, every week, home town announcers from both teams) for anything.

I too am a 4 yr subscriber to Sirius. I would rather give up cable TV than my satelite radio. I can't imagine having to sit through 15 minutes of commercials every hour to hear good music. It's a small amount of money each month well spent in my opinion.

homebrewer_99 said:
As a person of "normal reason" I think anyone paying for radio is a idiot...but then again, I pay for all the movie channels......call me an idiot...:drunk:

I thought exactly the same thing right up until I got my XM. What you're hearing for free is worth exactly what your paying for it. If you love music, I mean really love music, get a satellite radio. This is especially true if you live in a rural area. The hockey and comedy is a bonus too.

I can't comment on which is best because all I've ever had is the XM but I certainly consider my money well spent.

I guess we're both idiots. :D

Fingers said:
I thought exactly the same thing right up until I got my XM. What you're hearing for free is worth exactly what your paying for it. If you love music, I mean really love music, get a satellite radio. This is especially true if you live in a rural area. The hockey and comedy is a bonus too.

I can't comment on which is best because all I've ever had is the XM but I certainly consider my money well spent.

I guess we're both idiots. :D
I'm glad everyone got my sarcasm and didn't start attacking like a herd of gators. It may seem like a "can't live without" deal, but I'm not into sports and other "pay per view events" so I'll just stick to my CDs and compilations, etc.

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm glad everyone got my sarcasm and didn't start attacking like a herd of gators. It may seem like a "can't live without" deal, but I'm not into sports and other "pay per view events" so I'll just stick to my CDs and compilations, etc.

I was just going to call you an idiot outright like Dude 'cause it's funny, but he beat me to it. :p

But really hb_99, satellite radio is like one big compilation of your favourite music. As your mood changes you can change the station to match it. I usually listen to new music on mine, but my wife likes the old stuff and when we listen to it we're constantly saying, 'Oh I remember this! What a great song!'

Regular radio just keeps playing the same stuff over and over. Even the classic stations just keep playing the same classics over and over. Satellite radio doesn't answer to anyone other than the subscribers so they're free to play a wider selection.

definatly good to know...work involves driving house to house so im in the truck quite a bit. getting real sick of the same old tunes!

I subscribe to XM and get the Sirius music channels with my Dish Network subscription. Personally I prefer XM. Their music playlists are just a bit deeper. Sirius' music philosophy seems to be geared more towards hits and that means a few more repeats.

Before I got my XM I would have said the same thing as HB Bill, "why would anyone pay for radio??" Now I can't imagine a day without my XM. You can have any music style you want, without commercials, at the push of a button. If your CD or MP3 library is big enough, and you don't mind programming your own playlists then XM may not be for you. I prefer to let someone else program my playlist, and I'm not stuck listening to the same top 10 songs unless that's what I want to listen to. It's great.

I have had XM from the start, in all our cars and at home. Have had Sirius in rental cars but was not impressed. Think they will be one soon anyhow.

Fingers said:
I was just going to call you an idiot outright like Dude 'cause it's funny, but he beat me to it. :p

But really hb_99, satellite radio is like one big compilation of your favourite music. As your mood changes you can change the station to match it. I usually listen to new music on mine, but my wife likes the old stuff and when we listen to it we're constantly saying, 'Oh I remember this! What a great song!'

Regular radio just keeps playing the same stuff over and over. Even the classic stations just keep playing the same classics over and over. Satellite radio doesn't answer to anyone other than the subscribers so they're free to play a wider selection.
Oh, I forgot to mention it...I have it too, but not in my car. It's part of my DishNetwork system...so I know what it's all about :D, I just don't see the need in my car and I drive cross country every once in a while.

I also have over 17,000 songs in MP3 format (from my CDs that I've burned).

2+ years w/Sirius here and loving it. I really dig the fact that you can listen to the radio for hours on a long drive without having to try and find another station. I don't have much experience with XM, but the few times I've messed with it lead me to believe that Sirius was the right choice (good classic rock stations, good comedy, and yeah, I'll give Howard a listen in the morning...).

Yuri_Rage said:
2+ years w/Sirius here and loving it. I really dig the fact that you can listen to the radio for hours on a long drive without having to try and find another station. I don't have much experience with XM, but the few times I've messed with it lead me to believe that Sirius was the right choice (good classic rock stations, good comedy, and yeah, I'll give Howard a listen in the morning...).

I used to listen to Howard but now listen to Opie and Anthony on XM I do like their show better.

We've had XM and now have Sirius. IMHO paying for Stern is a waste of money even if it is only about 50 cents a day. I've failed to see whare he has lived up to the hype.

I like the Sirius music better than the XM, but I also liked the XM comedy station more than Sirius Raw Dog.

And who knows what to expect after the merger if it goes through. For now though, take the free trial online for Sirius and see if XM has one too and compare them.

But FWIW, I won't go back to regular broadcast radio again if I can help it. I like the selection and commercial free music too much.

XM is worth it just for O&A and Ron and Fez. Good music channels too. Only good sport to listen to on radio imo is MLB and XM has that. Plus they have a weekly show with Bob Dylan and a whole channel dedicated to just Led Zeppelin. How can you go wrong with that?

I've had XM now for about 3 years. Have done swaps with buddies to try Sirius out and I like XM a lot more. The music they play on XM is much better IMO. All depends what your looking for. If you like sports other than baseball then Sirius might be a better fit.

I had sirius in a rental a few times and I wasnt impressed. The biggest problem I had with it was consistency in music. I couldnt find a station that had a "theme" I enjoyed. I'd find a good song, and 2 songs later I'd be listening to something completely genre unrelated. .02

I have had both. The major difference are the special programming channels, particularly sports. I recommend you look at their special programming and see what you like better.

That said, you may want to hold out to see if the merger is approved, unless it continues to drag on. I believe what you'll find is that your radio will not magically work once a merger occurs. I suspect there will be an additional purchase to ensure your radio "merged".

They say you will be able to keep the programming package you have now or choose from an ala carte package. One thing that I think a lot of people believe is that they will have it all for what they are paying now. I just can't see that happening.

psychodad said:
One thing that I think a lot of people believe is that they will have it all for what they are paying now.
Not gonna happen. In fact, I think the units are incompatible with providing that many channels. I'm fairly certain that Sirius units only operate on 200 channels.

Onescalerguy said:
As a 4 yr SIRIUS subscriber, i still love it and highly recommend it over XM.
Cheers:mug:

Exact same for me. Sirius always has something on that I enjoy listening to. Also note, the playboy channel is decent, too. I don't think XM has that one.

If you like jambands, then go w/ Sirius.

I'm a phish & dead phan and Sirius has a channel dedicated to the Dead & have jam-on, which has a phish set every night.

also, you asked about nhl, sirius no longer carries hockey. they have football & NBA. XM has MLB & NHL.

I don't understand what's taking this merger so long.......

Not sure if it's too late to add input, but I have ha Sirius for over 2 years now and love it.

Music channels are way better than anything on regular radio and I listen to CFB from time to time on it. The only thing that gets me mad is that the NCAA gave the top bowl games to XM last year. I love having the NFL on it as well.

As for the merger, I'm for and against it. For it for savings potential and to insure the companies will survive. I'm also for it because it's competition for the iPod and regular radio. Against it because I know that it will go the way of cable companies and what I now have included like CFB and NFL will most likely turn into premium extra stuff.

Anyway, you can't go wrong either way, but if I had a choice, I may wait until they can merge. The new radios will have dual use between either service or both signals once they merge.

Good luck in your choice.

nobes341 said:
I had sirius in a rental a few times and I wasnt impressed. The biggest problem I had with it was consistency in music. I couldnt find a station that had a "theme" I enjoyed. I'd find a good song, and 2 songs later I'd be listening to something completely genre unrelated. .02
I felt the same way about Sirius when I did the free trial. I've had XM now for years and can't say enough good things about it.

Back