Wyyeast Sweetmead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
So I bought the wyyeast sweet mead yeast vial today. I want to do two, one gallon batches of mead. since i'm doing a smaller volume, can I split the yeast between the two batches? will half the vial be enough for one gallon? Thanks guys, this is my first mead, I'm excited and don't want to mess this one up.

The wyeast "smack packs" have a reputation for being a bit of a PITA - I certainly don't like them and found them to be rather problematic.

So I'd suggest using the advice from the "morewine!" website and make a starter with it and then, when (or if) it's started nicely, only then pitch the yeast (and maybe have a dried yeast backup!

Just my 2cents worth.......

I'm in agreement with fatbloke. The sweet mead strain is particularly problematic. I don't generally make a starter with any yeast any more, but if I were to use one of the sweet mead smack packs, I'd make a starter with it just to prove viability.

Back