wyeast4783 Rudesheimer in apfelwein??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used wyeast Rudesheimer in an apfelwein? i'd like to know as much as possible about what kind of experiences people have had using it, how it affects the flavor, how it compares to the Montrachet yeast in EdWort's recipe, fermentation times and temps, etc. etc. my LHBS doesn't have Montrachet yeast so i'm looking for alternatives. I won't be back to my homebrew equipment until late April so i have plenty of time to decide on a yeast but while i can't brew i figured i'd try and do something productive by seeking some advice.

Cheers

I've never used the yeast. Hell, I've never even heard of it. I can tell you that I've made many batches of apfelwein using many different yeast strains, and I've never ended up with a batch I didn't enjoy. Experiment with it. Worst case scenario, you spend a few bucks for apple juice, about $1 for corn sugar, and whatever your wyeast cost you, and end up with drinkable, yet slightly funny apfelwein.

Also, if you're anywhere in the US, UK, or Canada, you can order Montrachet online. Find an online store that carries it, as I have to do. :mug:

Has anyone used wyeast Rudesheimer in an apfelwein? i'd like to know as much as possible about what kind of experiences people have had using it, how it affects the flavor, how it compares to the Montrachet yeast in EdWort's recipe, fermentation times and temps, etc. etc. my LHBS doesn't have Montrachet yeast so i'm looking for alternatives. I won't be back to my homebrew equipment until late April so i have plenty of time to decide on a yeast but while i can't brew i figured i'd try and do something productive by seeking some advice.

Cheers

I've never used it, but from the info I have on it, it sounds like it might give you some good results.

"3783 Rudisheimer : Produces distinct Riesling character. Rich flavor, creamy, fruity profile with nice dry finish and a hint of Riesling sweetness in the aftertaste. Rhine Wines, Fruity Ciders, Riesling, lce Wine."

Considering that Riesling is usually about 12%ABV & retains a bit of sweetness, I'd guess this will have an alcohol tolerance of about 13%. So I think it will take your cider dry, though it may have a significantly different flavour profile. You might find this useful in choosing a yeast: Winemaking: Strains of Wine Yeast If you decide to go with the rudesheimer, let us know how it turns out. Regards, GF.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and use the Rudesheimer, and i'll be sure to post my results but i'm gonna be 300km away from my homebrew equipment for a little over a month because i'm attending university so don't expect any updates for awhile
Thanks for the encouragement.

Back