Wyeast vs White Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand of yeast do you prefer?

• Wyeast

• White Labs

• Dry yeast

• Depends on the beer style (post below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well I stand corrected. Good info. Not that I would ever try pitching a single cell, but I've had good luck with the smack packs without ever making a starter.

there are some styles where a fresh tube/XL pack is the proper pitching rate. sometimes its enough reason to sway me one way or the other on my next brew.

Example-

Option A-make an ordinary bitter and do all the work on brewday

Option B-make an ESB and have to remember to build up the yeast

No brainer for us lazy folks!

I use Wyeast because:

1. Its what my LHBS carries.
2. Its local (Oregon) so its usually very fresh.

I prefer dry yeasts, honestly, but when it comes down to it, I feel better about Wyeast because, like gplutt said, it's local (just up the river from PDX).

One thing that has bothered me, however. 100 billion cells in a smack pack, and they say it's enough to inoculate 5 gallons of <1.060 wort. However, mrmalty.com and all of the other calculators say that I should be pitching ~396 billion+ yeast cells in my latest lager (for which I was using WY2487-PC).

Why doesn't Wyeast put 400 billion cells in a lager smack pack, if they know you need to pitch more yeast in a lager?

I really love and prefer the Wyeast smack packs. Not that I have a problem with White Labs though. They are both great.

RANDOM QUESTION though on the Wyeast vs White Labs debate...WHY doesn't Wyeast put more effort into marketing? I don't see any t-shirts, stickers, magnets, Facebook groups, etc. I'd proudly wear a Wyeast shirt and display a magnet or sticker on my fridge which houses my bottled and kegged beer. I see White Labs does offer shirts and have other merchandise/fan groups. Anyone know?

"I don't see any t-shirts, stickers, magnets, Facebook groups, etc. I'd proudly wear a Wyeast shirt and display a magnet or sticker on my fridge which houses my bottled and kegged beer."

My LHBS has Wyeast stuff (keychains, bottle openers). I like Wyeast because the LHBS carries it and I have had good results with it. Montanaandy

I've taken a liking to dry yeast because it is cheap, but for liquid my LHBS stocks White Labs.

Both White Labs and Wyeast. I generally use Wyeast more, but when I see a White Labs strains that Wyeast doesn't have that I wanna try, I go for White Labs. I think they're equally good.

For my pale ales and standard English ales I like dry yeasts for their value, dependability, and ease of use; I also like the flavor profile. For anything else I go with Wyeast b/c that's what my LHBS carries. I've used WL before as well and they have a great product - my preference is only b/c of availability.

I usually use dry US-05, but will dip into the liquid world when warranted. I prefer White Labs because the LHBS carries it, but I'll order Wyeast on-line if they only carry a strain I want.

Back