Wyeast 3944 & headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddyk

Reaction score
Somewhere during my brew i miscalculated my volume and ended up with 6 gallons +-... I think my boil off wasnt what it should have been.

Damn near filled my primary, headspace was minimal. Pitched the yeast and woke up to airlock blown out with krausen. I rigged up a blow off tube into some sanitizer and watched it go.

Given that this is a top cropping yeast, am i losing yeast? Can i expect a lower attenuation? Should i give this thing a shake and see if i can get some of the stuff to sink? This is my 3rd batch, second all grain. Figured i would throw the question out there. Ive already rdwhahb, just trying to see where this is headed.

3944 is a monster. I get ridiculous blowoff when fermenting 5gal in a 6.5gal carboy at proper temps. Yeah, you're losing yeast, but it shouldn't impact your beer.

So losing yeast out the airlock won't impact it at all? I only ask because my 6.5 gallon carboy is full right now and I just pitched Wyeast 3944 onto an imperial witbier in my 5 gallon carboy. Very very little headspace. I'm wondering if I'd be better off borrowing a friends 6.5 gallon carboy and transferring before the fermentation has started, or just let it ride and accept the fact that my blowoff tube is going to be getting some heavy use....

That is an incredible yeast! I pitched not more than an hour ago and the airlock is already bubbling up a storm!

Back