wyeast 3864 Canadian-Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletchsj

Reaction score
So I'm having some interesting experience with this yeast. It's still chugging away but took a gravity reading this afternoon and it came out as 1.009 after starting at around 1.091 after a couple weeks.

It is a Belgian Golden Strong: 95% pils and half lb honey malt. Then a lb of clover honey, a lb of dextrose and 2 T of grains of paradise at flameout. 1.5 hrs boil

I did mash very low... Like 142ish.

Just really amazed how much this guy is chugging along still after 2.5 weeks and there is a very thick krausen cap sitting on top. I fermented at 60-64 degrees for 7 days then have slowly raised it up to close to 80 since then. Only pitched 1 smack pack with no starter.

It has some banana and a bit of pepper from the grains bit is very clean tasting with a hint of heat from the alcohol, which I figure will chill out after a few weeks. In using the search feature I didn't find much on this yeast, so I figured I'd post my results

Cheers!

Anyway, I hadn't seen much on this yeast

Figured I should have posted pics...

ForumRunner_20120313_115450.jpg

ForumRunner_20120313_115506.jpg

Where did you find this yeast. I have been washing it since 2010. Have not seen it re-released yet.

Where did you find this yeast. I have been washing it since 2010. Have not seen it re-released yet.

It was a special run for our cheers to belgian beers festival here in Portland this year. Call brewbrothers.biz and the probably still have a smack pack or two left.

Might do that. I would love to compare a fresh smack pack vs my 5th gen washed version and see if I can detect a difference. The unibroue unquie taste does not seem as strong as it was initially.

Yeah I'd imagine it has mutated a tad over 5gen. I like the strain though... I got excellent results from it.

I am a big fan of it too. I use it in hefes. Just tried a klosch with it. I did 5 with wlp029 and the other with this. Figured it would be a fun experiment.

Just really amazed how much this guy is chugging along still after 2.5 weeks and there is a very thick krausen cap sitting on top. I fermented at 60-64 degrees for 7 days then have slowly raised it up to close to 80 since then. Only pitched 1 smack pack with no starter.

I have a different story with this yeast. The krausen has dropped in less than 48 hours after pitching.

I must say I pitched at 68 and let it rises to 76, it took around 24 hours to reach that temp. Fermentation was crazy. Maybe I've been too aggressive but I set the controler to 72 when it was at 76. Next morning, wort temp was at 70 (same as ambient temp) and krausen has started to drop.

Latest posts

Back