wyeast 3463 forbidden fruit and sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zokfend

Reaction score
i'm doing a witbier using the 3463 forbidden fruit yeast.

i've been reading about how this particular yeast works best when kept at upper 70's temp during the first few days of really active fermentation, then let it subside down to 68-72 after that, until it's done.

i also read about how it can stink up a room b/c it smells of sulfur. i'm on day 2 now, and my wort is sitting at around 78 degrees, fermenting like a frenzy, and my whole room has a faint sulfur smell.

my wife isn't very pleased right now.

any tips or words of advice?

The smell will subside soon. 78 is pretty hot... I would expect a lot of odor at that temp.

I love 3463 for a witbier.

I have used it a lot and have never had it smell like sulphur, but I never let it get that warm.

I got some sulphur smell from this yeast back in the day - the yeast largely cleaned it up (or at least it disappeared).

I have used it a lot and have never had it smell like sulphur, but I never let it get that warm.

I know that this topic is old but I'm looking for understand wyeast 3463 behaviour change with temp because I'm planning a wit!

Beergolf can I ask you what temp do you use to ferment wit with this yeast?
Any suggestions on temperature or pitching rate are appreciate!

Thanks!

i give it another try ;) i'm going to brew a wit in a week, info about this yeast and fermentation temperature? :)

Latest posts

Back