Wyeast 3068 and it's Flocculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autiger

Reaction score
I have searched an read multiple threads, but was unable to find anything very similar to my situation (ie. situations like "big chunks" an inch or more in diameter type stuff)

Anyhow, I am in the middle of my second home brew batch ever and I am a little stumped. The first batch was a True Brew Amber Ale kit and has turned our pretty good. This time I did a Hefeweizen using Wyeast 3068. I know it is a low flocculating yeast, but it has been 10 days in primary and I am getting really small clumps of what I am guessing is yeast on the surface and floating up to the top and dropping back down. Is it safe to assume that there is still some work going on and it is just CO2 keeping them afloat.

Should I wait another 4-5 days, filter with a sanitized fine mesh or cold crash? Of course I want protein and some yeast to remain suspended, but these are tiny clumps 1-2mm in size that I would prefer to not have make it into the bottles.

I can take criticism, so if I am starting a useless thread that has been beaten to death, feel free to rag on me. Thanks.

No criticism, not useless. 3068 works quickly...you should easily hit FG by day 10. Take a gravity reading, that's the only way to know. Once gravity is stable, move to a colder location (i.e., garage) for a day or two and those larger particles should drop out of suspension.

I wouldn't filter; don't take the hefe out of the weizen.

PS - Welcome!

That's my favorite weizen yeast, always does right by me. Cold crash it once you'r sure it's done (which it almost certainly is)and you'll be fine

OG was 1.051 and I just took FG of 1.013. I am going to cold crash tonight and see how much of the clumps drop out.

Thanks for your insight and help. I hope this turns out well!

Tasted a sample while I took FG and I wasn't too impressed, it was definitely not terrible, but seemed watered down. It had the hefeweizen flavors I wanted, but definitely wasn't as strong as I would have liked. Maybe it is because I have been sampling various other beers tonight, but I definitely need to do more research and experimentation.

Hefe's also benefit from the tartness added via carbonation. A flat hefe won't taste right, so don't be discouraged. Wait till it's carbed and conditioned to pass judgment.

Back