W'YEAST 2633 Octoberfest Lager for a Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerlord

Reaction score
Just made a O'fest with this yeast and want to do a Sazz bomb Pilsner, any body use this yeast for a Pilsner? First time I've used it.

Kaiser said:
It should be fine. The differences in lager yeasts are usually fairly subtle.

Kai
I'm going to give er a shot, just got to find my old reciepe, I think i used 2206 in it and it was a great pilsner.

Six years later...how'd it turn out? I am planning on brewing a German pils this weekend with 2633.

I'm being optimistic in thinking that this thread, although very old, will eventually help someone. So I will give two updates on how well I think the 2633 works in a German Pils.

Update #1: I over shot my SG and began at 1.056. I fermented 7 days at 54F (I pitched at 50F) and had a 3 day diacytel rest at 66F. My apparent attenuation is around 80% with an FG of 1.011.

No sulfur, diacytel, or DMS noticed in the aroma or flavor when I pulled my FG sample. Very clean malt profile with the expected graininess of pilsner malt. I used 100% Rahr.

My initial reaction is that this yeast mutes the Hallertau hop. No hop aroma with a slight after taste bitterness.

I began lowering my temps for lagering last night. This batch will be given one more week on the yeast cake while lowering the temperature to 52F. At that point I will be racking it into a keg where it will sit for four weeks at 40F. I may go for a lower lagering temperature but I use my keezer for lagering and 40F is my preferred temp.

I will update once more when I tap the keg in 5 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm being optimistic in thinking that this thread, although very old, will eventually help someone. So I will give two updates on how well I think the 2633 works in a German Pils.

Update #1: I over shot my SG and began at 1.056. I fermented 7 days at 54F (I pitched at 50F) and had a 3 day diacytel rest at 66F. My apparent attenuation is around 80% with an FG of 1.011.

No sulfur, diacytel, or DMS noticed in the aroma or flavor when I pulled my FG sample. Very clean malt profile with the expected graininess of pilsner malt. I used 100% Rahr.

My initial reaction is that this yeast mutes the Hallertau hop. No hop aroma with a slight after taste bitterness.

I began lowering my temps for lagering last night. This batch will be given one more week on the yeast cake while lowering the temperature to 52F. At that point I will be racking it into a keg where it will sit for four weeks at 40F. I may go for a lower lagering temperature but I use my keezer for lagering and 40F is my preferred temp.

I will update once more when I tap the keg in 5 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Any update on this 9 months later? I'm putting together a brew schedule for next year and am planning on brewing a Bohemian Pilsner. I want to brew an O'fest first and then re-use the yeast for the Pilsner. I would be very interested to hear your results. I have no problem using a different yeast but it seems much more economical to re-use the O'fest one and would also save from having to make a starter.

Latest posts

Back