Wyeast 1272 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SynthesisError

Reaction score
So, I come home from class today and I'm greeted by the pungent aroma of fresh baked banana bread and bubblegum. Over the weekend I started fermentation on a partial mash IPA with Wyeast 1272, which I have never used before. It is advertised as "fruitier" than 1056, which I normally use, but I have never had a fermentation smell like this. The gas coming out of the airlock smells overpoweringly, disgustingly sweet, and reminds me of the dreaded soap/candle/lotion store at the mall. It has also caused my whole house to smell this way, and I haven't ever had fermentation smells permeate to that degree. Fermentation temp is 62-64*F, OG 1.058, and fermentation has been rolling along nicely for the past two days with relatively little aroma. It's as if a bubblegum bomb exploded in my closet overnight. My question is, will the finished product be this estery? Should I leave it in primary for a week or two longer before racking it off the cake, or will this just exacerbate the problem?

Are you sure about your fermentation temp (i.e. is it the actual temp of your wort, or just your ambient air temperature)? I've used 1272 a lot, and it's never kicked out much for crazy ester smells - I ferment at 68F with it usually.

Are you sure about your fermentation temp (i.e. is it the actual temp of your wort, or just your ambient air temperature)? I've used 1272 a lot, and it's never kicked out much for crazy ester smells - I ferment at 68F with it usually.

Ambient temp in the brew closet has been between 62-64F. By far the coldest part of the house. I haven't taken a wet reading, and I probably won't, but I'm willing to bet it isn't above 70.

Yes, but your brew can be as much as 10 degrees above ambient.

Probably too late to get an accurate wort temp. Maybe a long rest after primary ferm will give your yeast a chance to clean up after itself?

Back