Wyeast 1007 off flavours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFallopian

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Wyeast 1007 producing off flavours? I used it for the first time recently on a kolsch, and my father - in-law tried a sample, commenting that it tasted like 'chemicals'. It could do with another week or two lagering, so hopefully it will clean up a little. I also repitched the yeast into an Altbier, and both were fermented at 15-18c.

What temp did you ferment at? That yeast does better fermented cooler. I like to use it around high 50's to low 60's at the highest. At those temps it comes out very clean for me.

edit: just noticed the temps. If that was ambient temps the 18 C may have fermented a little too high.

Give it a little more time to clean up.

The problem might have been stressed yeast. I pitched a new smack pack of 1007 and did not make a starter, only left it to swell. There was quite a long lag time before fermentation took off so I'm thinking that this lag phase stressed the yeast and produced some off-flavours. I repitched the yeast in an Altbier, which I kegged this evening - the sample was very clean. Both were fermented at the same temperature so I'm guessing that this lag phase caused some problems.

Back