Wye viking hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndMan3030

Reaction score
Anyone ever brewed with Viking Hops? I am thinking about growing them and can't find much info on them.

Thanks!

Well I've decided to order these without any feedback. I will post my thoughts on them once I've grown, Harvested, Dried, and brewed with them. you can expect my feedback in November 2014. HA!

5 Viking crowns were planted yesterday, along with 6 Horizon, and 6 Willamette. I will be sure to post feedback.

Updating up an old thread here....

I finally had a small harvest of Viking Hops. I planted the crowns at friends house last summer. They didn't do much of anything last year, but were given a pretty late start (mid-July). This year they got more established, and even yielded a small harvest. The cone structure is great, and they have an AMAZING floral/hoppy aroma. I am going to brew a single hop pale ale with them next week to run some recon. I will be sure to post some pictures of the hops, post the recipe I use, and reply with some tasting notes to from the finished product.

:mug:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: Rehydrated Dry
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: N/A
Batch Size (Gallons): 11
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 45
Boiling Time - 60 minutes
Color: 5 SRM - Straw Color
Primary Fermentation - 7 days @ 67
Secondary Fermentation - 14 days @ 70
Tasting Notes: Will follow up

23 # American Two Row
2.5 # American White Wheat
1 # American Crystal 40
1 # American Carapils

Mash for 60 minutes at 152. 60 minute boil.

Hop Additions:

60 Min- 2 oz Warrior (15.5% AA)

10 Min- 2 oz Viking (8% AA ??)

5 Min- 2 oz Viking (8% AA ??)

O Min- 2 oz Viking (8% AA ??)

Dry Hop with 1 oz. in each carboy, 5.5 gallons in each

Let us know how it goes! I just planted two rhizomes this year. Didn't grow that much this first year (as expected) but still lookin' healthy.

After drying them out we had just over 8 oz.. Enough to make a couple runs of this recipe, or step it up to an IPA. Next year there will be TONS more.

**pics were taken from a phone and a shaky hand**

Vikings 1.jpg

View attachment Vikings 2.jpg

Viking Harvest 2014.jpg

Looks very good for having been considered weak in vigour. Curious on how it compares with Northdown and Challenger.

It was listed as weak in vigor in Oregon, WA and good in England. Perhaps our climate in MN is closer to the climate in England. I do know this much, next year these are going take off like gangbusters! They smell amazing and I cant wait to brew with them this weekend. I will be sure to post pics and notes of the finished beer.

AndMan, next year you'll have to hook a fellow Mpls resident up! Or pass along a rhizome in the spring?

I can do that FOR SURE... I could also set you up with Columbus, Glacier, Nugget, and Crystal Rhizomes... My Columbus hops are INSANE. The Nugget hops have done very well also. I would recommend Columbus highly.. posting a few pics..

The first is a shot of my trellis, the next two are of the Columbus Hops closer up. This has 3 Columbus and 3 Glaciers on it. My Nugget and Crystals are growing on my patio fence. Vikings are at a buddy's house...

Trophy Garden 8.8.14-4.jpg

Trophy Garden 8.19.14.jpg

Trophy Garden 8.19.14-2.jpg

I can do that FOR SURE... I could also set you up with Columbus, Glacier, Nugget, and Crystal Rhizomes... My Columbus hops are INSANE. The Nugget hops have done very well also. I would recommend Columbus highly.. posting a few pics..

The first is a shot of my trellis, the next two are of the Columbus Hops closer up. This has 3 Columbus and 3 Glaciers on it. My Nugget and Crystals are growing on my patio fence. Vikings are at a buddy's house...

Woah!! Well, if you need help using up at that Columbus this year, lemme know!

OK digging this baby up... my hops sat in the fridge to long (didn't freeze) and got moldy and gross. Must not have dried them enough, AND bumped my brewday back a couple weeks.. FAIL! this year I should have 6 - 8 Lbs. of Viking hops. In this photo you can see them, the ones on the left side. MONSTERS ALREADY!!

These seemed to ripen EARLY this year. They are looking good, but all the other plants are only burrs!

It looks like I will test these out in the heat of Central Va next year. I will let everyone know how they do.

Back