WTF is the clear layer of liquid in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goforevercrazywithit

Reaction score
I made an oatmeal stout and let it stay in primary or three weeks. went to bottle this morning and I noticed in my carboy that there is a clear layer of liquid seperating the beer from the dead yeast and sediment...what could it be?

It's called "beer".

OK seriously - is it "water" clear, or "not cloudy but dark" clear?

I'm guessing it's just beer. The beer near the yeast tends to look clearer due to light reflecting off the yeast cake.

Pie_Man said:
I'm guessing it's just beer. The beer near the yeast tends to look clearer due to light reflecting off the yeast cake.

I think this is it. Yeast in suspension heavily toward the bottom could make it look really light in contrast to a dark stout.

The beer at the top will look clearer as the trub,etc settles out. When it's all clear or slightly misty,then bottle. Less trub in the bottles that way.

I made an oatmeal stout and let it stay in primary or three weeks. went to bottle this morning and I noticed in my carboy that there is a clear layer of liquid seperating the beer from the dead yeast and sediment...what could it be?
Same thing happened to me with oat flakes. It is a super clear one inch layer on top. Probably some kind of oil less dense than water

Latest posts

Back