Wtf!! Ipa won’t clear OR carbonate.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman42

Reaction score
I’m very frustrated. And I do not understand why this is happening. Any insight would greatly be appreciated.

Made an IPA 7% abv.

Followed my usual process I’ve been doing for years on brew day. Fermented it for 2 weeks. I then racked from my conical fermenter to my 5gal ball lock. When racking it was so clear I could see my finger print through my racking tube.
I put it in my kegerator for 24hrs then (this is the only thing in my process I’ve done different) i keg hopped it while I was carbonating. I have a stainless mesh canister that I tied to the inside of my keg lid. With 3 ozs of hops.
I also added a 1/2 tsp of gelatin at the same time. I closed the lid and set it to 30psi.
Waited 24hrs and dialed it back to 10psi. I waited a 4 days then purged the co2 so I could get the lid off and pull out the hops. At that time the beer was still very murky. So I added another 1/2tsp of gelatin put the lid back on at 10psi and haven’t touched it for a week.
The beer still looks very murky even after pulling off a couple pints. And it has barley any carbonation.

I did use an ounce of citra cryo hops could that have maybe gotten through my mesh canister? That’s the only thing I can think of. But it’s been 2 weeks and 2 rounds of gelatin.

Did you do some purge cycles (pressurize then vent) with CO2 after the last time you opened the keg? If you don't do purge cycles to get rid of the air, the CO2 pressure is less than it needs to be to carbonate properly. Also, if the keg is overfilled (beer level above the cylindrical portion of the keg) then the surface area is reduced, and carbonation takes longer.

Brew on :mug:

Back