• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Brew Boss 15 Gallon System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the pot and cofi basket for sale in 20 gallon if you're interested in piecing it together.

How much for the Pot and Basket, shipped to 07704? I mainly do 5 gallon batches. Do you know if the 20 gallon would be too large for 5 gallons?
I've read that the mash water may not cover the grains for smaller batches.

I did use mine for 5 gallon batches. Darren says on his website that you can use it for 5 gallon batches. Darren has also said that he rarely ever... if ever, has had people want to downgrade from a 20 to a 15, but many people who get 15 wish they had got 20.

All that being said, I did NOT like the 20 gallon system for 5 gallon batches while using the cofi basket. I had issues with the grain bed not being submerged. For 5 gallon batches, I would highly suggest the 15 gallon system. If you went with an actual bag, it might be a different story. I did go the route of larger batches, and like Darren said, am happy I got the 20.

Thanks for your insight. What's the minimum batch size you would recommend with the 20 Gallon system?

I was doing 6 gallon batches, and mostly they did fine. If I was doing anything bigger than 1.065, I'd have to put extra effort into the grain. Not that it couldn't be done. I'd leave the lid off the basket and stir more frequently. Also there was a concern of recirculating too fast. Water can be pumped into the basket where grain wont let it go fast enough to drain out.

The larger the batch size above 1.065 the more efficiency fell. That's true though of any beer you make in a biab situation. I think I was hitting 60-65% ish efficiency on 1.080 beers.

Also, take into account whether brewing indoors or outside. Outside the boil off rate is higher, so you start with more water which helps. Indoors with a steam slayer, you use less water.

There were other methods such as using more water in hybrid mash sparge techniques that Daren posts on his website that I never used.

The reason I'm selling is due to larger beers in the 12 gallon range. The basket only holds so much grain. I think I tested with 31 lbs and had a little more room. The basket was completely submerged under water though. I've since switched to a wilser bag that uses more of the kettle volume and can hold more grain. I just did a 36 lb batch and could have held a little more. Maybe 40 lbs, even more if I lowered my false bottom more.

I always did 6 gallons to make sure I had 5 gallons actual volume to keg accounting for fermenter loss.

Cool. For 6 gallons, you had no problems with the grains not being fully submerged? If so, this sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
I want 6 gallons in the fermenter to account for .5 Gallon trub loss, dead space, etc.

6 gallons of 1.065 beer was submerged for me. This is always a tough question to give a 100% answer on. It all depends on the system water needs. If your efficieny is higher, you need less grain, so it's easy. If you need more water for boil off losses, it's easy. Grain absorption value plays in effect too ... how hard do you squeeze vs drip.

On the other hand, you combine all those things on the other side of the scale, it wont be submerged. Even if not submerged, you can manually stir. It's not ideal but it will work.

I just put a spreadsheet together comparing the pre-configured 20 Gallon system vs buying the pot & filter, the panel, stainless steel pump, swirl boss, cord for the Element, tubing, cam and tri locks, etc and it's not much of a savings to go this route. Darin prices these pre-configured systems out really well.

Yes he does. It's a great system. If you know you're sticking to 5 gallon batches, my advise is different than Darren's. Stick to the 15 gallon. If theres any question that you'll go bigger, get the 20.

I have tried to register on line with Brew Boss. Also tried to open an account. Can't seem to get through to the company. No e-mail listed for them either. Phone number hard to find also. But did find 262-207-4359. Sounds like an answering service. Anyone have an e-mail address for them ?

@ShaLaH I have a 15 gallon Spike+ kettle with 4x TC ports, and just ordered the 15 gallon COFI basket that they listed in clearance without the infusion tube. Selling both for $400. Located in Cortland, OH.

@ShaLaH I have a 15 gallon Spike+ kettle with 4x TC ports, and just ordered the 15 gallon COFI basket that they listed in clearance without the infusion tube. Selling both for $400. Located in Cortland, OH.

thanks. I have a running spreadsheet of the 15 Gallon Deluxe Package vs piecing it out. After buying your kettle & basket, plus the controller, temp prob mount, heating element, pump, ball valve, pickup tube, camlocks, triclamps, swirlboss, accessory port, clamps, hoses, etc it comes out to about the same price without the COFI tube.

Back