Wrath of Pecan Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotsun

Reaction score
Hey guys,
After researching on here I came up with a pecan ale recipe in the style of Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan. It turned out pretty damn good, but I'm hoping to get more pecan flavor out of it next time.

I was wondering if I threw a few ounces of pecans in around the 15 min mark (like a flavoring hop addition) if that would give me more flavor as opposed to adding more into the mash.

Hey guys,
After researching on here I came up with a pecan ale recipe in the style of Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan. It turned out pretty damn good, but I'm hoping to get more pecan flavor out of it next time.

I was wondering if I threw a few ounces of pecans in around the 15 min mark (like a flavoring hop addition) if that would give me more flavor as opposed to adding more into the mash.

I would do both...or you could add pecan extract to your boil or after primary fermentation, that would give you the biggest bang!

I would do both...or you could add pecan extract to your boil or after primary fermentation, that would give you the biggest bang!

Hmm, after primary fermentation I hadn't thought of that. If I do that, how do I ensure sanitation of my nuts. :D Also how much should I add? If I add 12 ounces in the mash again, maybe another 6-8 ounces post fermentation?

i have AHS smoked pecan porter in secondary right now on wood chips. It came with 4 oz pecan extract to add before I keg it. I have read several of the recipes that use pecans and from what I read you have to be careful with the oils in the pecans. I dont know this for sure as I have not done it, but just reading it seems the best practice is to toast them really well and dry them before using. Mine comes off the wood after the weekend and I will report back on the extract after I keg.

I would suggest upping the amoung of pecans in the mash. You said you used 12 oz in the mash. My pecan porter uses 2 lbs in the mash. And the next time I brew it I am upping them to 2.5-3 lbs. The flavor is fantastic but I want to see if I can get just a little more. Extract in secondary sounds like an interesting idea though.

Well the wifey did bring home a 2 lb bag of them from Sam's Club. That is the easiest thing to do, so we'll go that route. I was just worried I'd get more bitterness from them without as much flavor.

:mug: Cheers to the humor, I meant it to be funny but I'm also kind of serious...
Why not add some nuts at the end of fermentation? Would you get more pecan flavor and aroma?

I don't know, but I think for this batch I'm gonna throw the whole 2lbs in the mash. If I still don't get the flavor I want I'll try "dry-nutting" next time. Haha

Hey Dotsun,
I was wondering how your Pecan Brew came out?
I'm drinking a Pecan Nut Brown right now. It is good but was wondering how to make it better. What was your recipe and process if you don't mind.

Back