Wow what an expensive beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your wegman's has draft in DC??? you sir, suck. ;)

Haha yeah. I've been tempted to get one but I always do my grocery shopping early in the day and I don't feel like catching a buzz so early.

Oh, and it's definitely Chimay Red on tap, not Cinq Cents.

I had kind of the reverse experience to the OP; went to the Notre Dame spring football game and went into Legends restaurant which is on campus directly across from the stadium. I was looking over the beer menu and it was typical/average craft brew prices. And then I saw it-- Ommegang Abbey 750ml bottle for $7.50! That is cheaper than what I can get it in the store ($8 at the store). We drank Ommegang that day, and it was good!

:mug:

No offense man but $9 is not a lot for a beer, let alone a Chimay... any trendy/hip place will be $5-7 for a domestic draft. You can't compare retail prices to restaurant or bar prices. Go to vegas, and you'll think everything is cheap as dirt.

buffalobrewer said:
your wegman's has draft in DC??? you sir, suck. ;)

The joy of the new wegmans stores. I drive to Fredericksburg or DC sometimes just to get my fix.

Bottles of Cantillon (750mL) at my Liquor store are $25-29. But oh so good.

Haha yeah. I've been tempted to get one but I always do my grocery shopping early in the day and I don't feel like catching a buzz so early.

Oh, and it's definitely Chimay Red on tap, not Cinq Cents.

Well, the chimay website seems to think differently (unless it is out of date). There is also this from one of the posters at beeradvocate:

I was at the Craft Beer Expo in St. Petersburg back in July and was talking to the James Williams. He is the regional sales manager for Chimay at Manneken-Brussel Imports, Inc.

He said that only the White is sold in kegs anywhere in the world. He said the reason the Red and the Blue aren't sold in kegs, is because Chimay doesn't feel they "translate" well in that format(they don't taste as the brewmaster intended them to taste).
He said that the White is the only Chimay beer that tastes as it is intended to taste on tap. He said the others have never been available on tap, and never will be available on tap.

I actually questioned this myself, having sworn I had one of the others on tap, but James assured me, this wasn't the case.

Now, the expo was a few months back, and I had ALOT to drink, so if you guys have any questions, you can email James at:

[email protected]

Also in the thread there is a guy claiming to have sworn he had the red at the Tap&Mallet at Rochester, only to have a Tap&Mallet employee come on and inform him that in fact they only serve the white on tap.

I still don't understand why you would be surprised. It's a restaurant.
A glass of good wine is gonna cost ya. A good beer from Belgium is gonna cost ya. Good food is gonna cost ya. How much have you payed for a beer at a ball game or concert ? $ 9 bucks aint bad unless you don't get out much.:mug:

I think the OP had not bought a good Belgian beer in a restaurant before and was surprised at how much it cost. If you are used to buying good quality regional craft beers, a $9 beer could be surprising.

I'm not arguing that Chimay is overpriced or that this restaurant was unreasonable - I don't think they are. I just didn't agree with you chastising the OP for being surprised - he'd never bought Chimay before and was surprised at how much it cost. I understand that.

Ahh Murphy's, they must be cleaning the place up and going all fancy.

They have definitely pulled a 180 from the last Murphys. The food is good and they have a great beer selection. They open monday and look to have a killer happy hour as well.

Restaurants charge a markup because they can. If it bothers you, order water and buy the same beer from the beer store on the way home

I knowingly paid $45 for a bottle of year-old RR Temptation at a beer bar and enjoyed every sip.

Welcome to craft beer.

I think the OP had not bought a good Belgian beer in a restaurant before and was surprised at how much it cost. If you are used to buying good quality regional craft beers, a $9 beer could be surprising.

I'm not arguing that Chimay is overpriced or that this restaurant was unreasonable - I don't think they are. I just didn't agree with you chastising the OP for being surprised - he'd never bought Chimay before and was surprised at how much it cost. I understand that.

I gotta agree. I'm sure the OP learned from this experience that a belgian will cost a bit more.

I wouldn't know how much any beer cost except for the fact that I visit the liquor store so frequently lol

one time i ordered a Burton Baton, and was surprised it was $10 a bottle, good thing it was the last one of the night lol

The OP wasn't expecting a $9 beer and some of you people jump him for being cheap? Way to become beer advocate Homebrewtalk.

World of Beer has very reasonable draft prices (4-8) but some of the bottles are stupid expensive. My cousin ordered a 750ml Duvel for close to $30. (Here is the part that made me do the "wtf face"). He lives in the Netherlands and was here for the week.

Where in SD are you? What is the name of the new restaurant. I am around Sioux Falls, but make my way out west every year a few times.

Hit Monks up in sioux falls for a good beer.

$9 Chimay is fairly reasonable. Obviously it's more than you would expect to pay at a grocery store but beer and wine is where most restaurants make their money. It's not uncommon for alcohol to be marked up over 300% their cost. Whereas in retail beer GP margin is usually only 15% for craft and 5% for BMC.

i live in the south, and most things are a little cheaper here than they would be in a big city. i generally pay 4 dollars for a craft brew at my local pub. chimay is around 8.50/ 9.00 here. so i can say at least you didn't get hosed. i had already had it several times at home though, so i knew to expect a big price tag (otherwise i would have been pretty surprised too!). i love chimay, but only drink it at home. if i ever order any belgian or trappist or sour or lambic or anything that i've never heard of that looks... pricey, then i ask how much it is.

as long as we are on restaurant beer prices here is the one that pisses me off. Happy Hour domestic prices. Went to an applebees after work a couple weeks ago and the late night happy hour is $3 Domestic Brewtus. I don't frequent applebees, but discovered "Brewtus" is their marketing for their large size draft. So I look at the taps and order a Sam Adams. The waitress says nothing at all about what size I wanted and brought it in their Brewtus glass, so i figure that I scored. After an appetizer and 3 beers I was presented with a bill for for about $25 with the beers being like $6 each. Now in my mind I know restaurants typically only include the BMC in happy hour prices. But in my defense their special was promoted as Domestic Taps and the waitress didnt offer a 16oz pour or explain it wasnt included. I paid the bill w/o complaint. I decided for the smart ass in me to send applebees an email. I thought is was humorous in a jackass sort of way and my letter included a cut and paste from websters with the defination of "domestic", a link to a google map of the Sam Adams brewery confirming their location and a cut and paste from Sam Adams site proclaiming them to be an american brewer. I just did it for sh*ts and giggles but ended up receiving 3 different phone calls apologizing for not being informed of the pricing strategy, and a 20 gift card. I was kinda surprised in a good way. Took the SWMBO in for dinner on them and found out their food isnt so bad for a chain type place and the 2 for 20 dinner specials are quite good.

Where in SD are you? What is the name of the new restaurant.

I am out in Rapid. It is a new restaurant opening up downtown called Murphy's. The food there is pretty darn good.

I saw a 6er of dogfish 60 minute at the local convenient store for $16.99 in the Chicago burbs where they had other dfh and Bells products next to it for ~$10. It didn't really make any sense unless someone REALLY needed it at that moment.

When did the Wegman's in Fred get draft?

No draft that I'm aware of. I'm just refering to my need for a Wegmans fix.

Born and raised in Rochester NY, I need Wegmans every once in a while for their subs, and some things I can't here in the south (like white hots).

They don't have draft beers. It's probably for the best. My grocery shopping trips would likely double in cost.

Yeah probably for the best...

Back