Wow what a difference a few days makes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFBass

Reaction score
Hey all

Just thought I'd share my noob experience with a few of you just starting. So I bottled my first batch of a Mr Beer kit on the 16th after two weeks of fermenting. I cracked a couple on the 23rd for a family gathering, they were palatable, not sweet, had some head but lost it and all carbonation quickly. Still though, drinkable and decent for my first batch.

I cracked another today to check and take more notes (everyone takes tasting and recipe notes right?) and it's much better. retains the carbonation, the flavours seem to have mellowed to a more beerish taste. Tastes like I more expected it too. Can't wait to see what it tastes like on the 30th (two weeks in the bottle) and every week from then on!

Still, almost made it to two weeks with only cracking two homebrews! I think this patience thing will catch on!

common now...that's been in the primary for two weeks now. I think i pitched that one about an hour after bottling the first batch! Bottling on saturday with some buddies.

Couldn't handle the off chance i'd run out of beer....

well hay it sounds like you have the right idea of waiting a week between samples to see how it improves. most of us wait 3 weeks after bottling before opening.

i too just tried one of my wcpa and was impressed, i have now stepped up to 5 gal extract kits, but going to keep my mr beer kits for experimental brews:mug:

The effects of time never cease to amaze me.

Made a couple of brews last April that sucked for months and months--a bock and a brown ale. Gave away as much as I could. By Christmas (hadn't had any of either batch for a few months) they were fantastic. Now I wish I had back all the stuff I gave away!

When its your first time brewing you get anxious and 1 week turns into an eternity! ... But once you finally setup your pipeline your going to start forgetting you have conditioned bottles down in your basement thats have been sitting there for a month.

Back