wow - once they break the ground they really grow fast don't they ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Its amazing how fast they grow once they come up isn't it ?

Mine went from a tiny shoot just barely breaking the ground to 3" almost overnight.

A foot a week? My fuggle grows a foot a day when we get decent weather

Well, I'll keep hoping for some growth on mine, then! The snow is finally gone, and they poked up a couple of days ago. It's still in the 40s during the day, and the 20s and 30s at night, so I'm not seeing much growth!

Mine are struggling, too cold & not enough sunshine. The NB is in it's third year & has 5 or 6 shoots, but they are only a few inches high. There's a big pile of short Cascades bines.

Still no sunshine in the 10-day forecast, but I deployed the drip system today anyway.

My fuggles are about 4 and 1/2 feet tall. Each have about 4 shoots. My cascade are small. I think that it has something to do with the amount of sun. My fuggles are in sun all day. My cascade are in 3/4 of the day. But both zomes are growing strong.

We had great weather these past few weeks. 60's and sometimes 70's. Just wait you will get there. I planted these rhizomes last year late (June). I actually had cones on the Cascade. This year they are strong.

Good luck!!

- WW

I am in my third year of growing, I have 1 chinook, 1 cenntenial and 1 cascade plant. Mine were about 6 feet high and very bushy, and then I cut them back to the ground on May 1. This was recommended to me by a commercial hop grower, the theory is that they will grow back stronger and that come harvest, most of the hops will be ready at the same time and thus you get a higher yield. I am a little nervous, I hope it works.

Eastside......

My Cascades and Nuggets are doing great-both about 18 inches and only in the ground about 3 weeks! The Nugget grew at least 6 inches in 2 days. Time to figure out a better support system than my current tomato baskets.

As someone who just planted some rhizomes, Where's the pistures???

Why, in the pistures thread, of course! ;)

I wish we could get some more decent weather. My hops are doing ok, but they seem to be going kinda slow. We've had a few nice days here and there, but we've had a lot of cool and damp weather, as well as a few nights of frost. Maybe the cool and damp weather is why the Saaz seems to be doing so well.

Chris

i think mine are aging, like a barley wine or something. only one little guy has poked his head out of the ground, and he's not in any hurry...

I have 5 different types growing. Nugget, Perle, Cascade, Mt. Hood, the other I can't remember. I have one that grew about a foot in a couple days. That one is almost 4 ' tall already. The others are all about a foot +/-. Need to get my trellis's put together this weekend.

My Centenials, Cascades and Willamettes are all over a foot tall now, My Nuggets are not going as fast, the rhizome I got was pretty small and I'm surprised it grew at all. The Nugget is maybe 3-4 inches by now, but the others are doing great.

are there any specific strains that handle new england weather particularly well? Id love to get some for my yard as my dad is an expert gardener

I put up my poles and dug out the ground on the hill for the plants. Been reallu hot here lately so I put off plnating them in the ground till tomro supposed to be a bit cooler.

I should set up a camera to take pics every so many minutes. COuld make for an interesting youtube vid.

My Willamette and Cascades have bines that are now taller than me (6') and I've noticed inches in growth over several hours. They are almost at the eves of the garage and I'm still trying to decide where to string them after they outgrow that.

yeah, temp has been all over the place. just above freezing at night a week ago then 90's on the weekend and now in the 60's. (you have no idea how doing that Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion in my head pains my brain)

They seemed so soggy when I planted them. They were shipped that way so I guess that's normal.

(you have no idea how doing that Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion in my head pains my brain)

They seemed so soggy when I planted them. They were shipped that way so I guess that's normal.

Sorry about the temp conversion. I'm trying to get better at paying attention to people's locations and not just assuming Fahrenheit.

Mine were shipped damp-ish and the instructions said to keep them that way until planting.

Back