Wow Free Jockeybox for me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarpancake

Reaction score
Drivin up to see my aunt and uncle the wife and I get off the highway due to bumper to bumper traffic and take a more scenic route. Through Passiac NJ. While driving through I spotted a red Igloo cooler with two taps on it under a pile of junk being thrown away in front if a business. We pulled over and I grabbed it. Upon inspection it has a regulator and keg fittings and hosing inside. Also inside is a large metal cooler plate.

Free jockeybox for me :) !!

Pics will be posted upon my arrival home tonight.

img0241v.jpg

img0243m.jpg

img0244gl.jpg

Needs new lines and a good soak in some OxyClean and a sanitize afterwords but I think itll work just fine afterwards :)

I was wondering to replace the hosing should I down the id of the tubing from whatever huge tubing they have put on it to the standard beer serving tubing for kegging (3/16 inch) or should it be fine as-is ?

first i'd research getting that plate chiller clean. does it dis-assemble?

and I was going to say "es go smaller with the tubes".... but... if it was a working, balanced system, I'm not sure that you need to cahnge it (other than to change it for new)

first i'd research getting that plate chiller clean. does it dis-assemble?

and I was going to say "es go smaller with the tubes".... but... if it was a working, balanced system, I'm not sure that you need to cahnge it (other than to change it for new)

well I will soak it in oxyclean for a LONG time so that should get most of the grime off/out. I can also run a compressor onto it to blow out insides if it does not disassemble.

Since you are replacing it I would drop to 3/16. I have a cold plate but have not had a chance to do anything with it yet. The plate ID is 1/4 so I think it will have the same problems a keg has without the output lines running 3/16.

any idea what the female holes in the plate are sized? Is that the 1/4 inch you were talking about? I dont want to order parts and order wrong sizes.

THanks!

removed the two standard keg taps and they are both severly corroded inside. I hope the cooling plate fairs better.

I stopped working on the jockey box tonight because as I was in the basement (man-cave) I noticed a pretty serious looking leak. It looks to be coming from the main water pipe to the sewer. However, the leak seems to be inside the wall. Probably pretty far up on the pipe. Lovely. Time to spend some of that RR time to fix our crap-tube.

I'm a big fan of SS since it requires so much less cleaning( I'm a lazy SOB). My faucets and shanks are SS for that reason. It appears that you have chrome plated parts, and the chrome has been pitted. If you clean regularly it probably wont be too much concern. Try it and if you notice any off flavors(metallic) then that is the first place I would look.

Back