Would you put this in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJ

Reaction score
I've got my 2nd batch in my primary, it's a hoppy IPA. The instructions that came with my kit suggested racking to a Secondary as soon as the bubbles in the airlock showed signs of slowing down. After reading how a lot of folks here are keeping their brews in the primary for a longer period of time, I decided to do the same. I was planning on keeping it in the primary for 7-14 days. Would you rack this to a secondary or straight to a bottling bucket? Thanks.

I only put my IPA in a secondary for dry hopping. I highly recommend dry hopping with an IPA...goes great with the style. If I weren't going to dry hop, I wouldn't use a secondary.

No, I'm not dry hopping. There's a "hop tea" that gets added along with the priming sugar as a last step and that's it.

Do you get a noticeable amount of trub or general floaties if you don't use a secondary?

Nope, all of that stuff ends up in the bottom of the primary. Just be sure to siphon a couple inches off the bottom so you don't suck up the trub, and you're good. I've had beers that I only put in the primary for 4 weeks, and they came out crystal clear with a very clean flavor profile.

Back