Would like your opinion on a Brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligaf

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been lurking around for a year or so thought I’d jump in. I'm a poor college student trying to brew the beers I love in a small two bed room apartment. I've been looking for a cheap brewpot that will let me brew full extract boils for now and 5 gal AG batches soon to come. The best bang for your buck seems to be the Economy 10 gal brewpot from ABS. Austin Homebrew Supply (@ 62.99) I would prefer a 15 gal pot looking to the future but can’t find one that is in my price range. I also looked at converting a keg but it just doesn’t seem feasible to lug it around or clean it where I live. I would really appreciate an opinion from anyone with some insight. (Is this a decent buy?) Please remember that price is an issue.

If you're comfortable with the price of this pot, then I'd say that is more than enough for you. Looking to the future for a 15 gallon pot is overkill right now and you can always use the 10 gallon as a Hot Liquor Tank. I thought I'd want to go to 10 gallon batches a long time ago, but life gets in the way and I don't drink that much anyway. You being a college student, though, that might not be your problem. :D

For now it looks like that would do. You do need a propane burner too so figure that in.

Thanks for your reply Flyin' lion I think you may be right Just need to work with what I can afford. By the way do you fly for a living? I am Working on My CFI right now. Should have it done by December. Not looking forward to finding a job on the down turn.

WBC Thanks for your reply. I do have a regular turkey fryer burner should do the trick.

I'd at least look at a restaurant supply store near you for a 10-gallon heavy aluminum commercial cookpot before deciding to buy this. No, not a Yuppie kitchenware store's "commercial" cookware (read, overpriced, underbuilt), the real stuff - aluminum a good 1/4 inch thick or more, not "el cheeso" superthin stainless. No fancy coatings. No fear of denting it, short of a sledgehammer.

I've been brewing in one for 15 years and it works well to this day.

That's an excellent price on a 10 gal stainless. You could save about $15 bucks going aluminum here. Some will say that stainless is worth 3X as much. I won't, but won't argue that there are pros and cons to both materials.
When you do go to 15 gal, the price difference between SS and AL widens dramatically.
Cheers to a student not drinking natty light.:mug:

The best bang for your buck seems to be the Economy 10 gal brewpot from ABS. Austin Homebrew Supply (@ 62.99) I would prefer a 15 gal pot looking to the future but can’t find one that is in my price range.

There is a case to be made that a $50 craigslist keg and paying someone a few bucks + sixpack of their favorite to plasma cut off the top makes an excellent 15gal brewkettle. This is what folks call a "keggle".

I'll agree with Fratermus that you might be able to save some money by searching craigslist, but I still say that a 10 gallon pot is more than enough, for now.

:off: I don't fly for a living anymore. I did the CFI thing, but took a job in a factory because the pay was substantially more and I had mouths to feed. After you get your CFI, fly your ass off to build hours and you'll be in the right seat in no time.

EDIT: Here's a thread that drew out some of the HBT pilots :https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/why-do-i-fly-53483/

Thanks for all of your input. I have found kegs on Craig's list but don't have the room to clean and store something that big. I'll go with this pot for now.

:eek: Sorry about being off topic I know its probably not a big deal. Thanks for the link.

Pots on eBay and Amazon can be cheaper. I would personally get a heavy duty aluminum as they can be had for the same or less than stainless. The aluminum ones also heat MUCH faster and allow for faster cooling in an ice bath. If you get a large stainless one you will need some type of chiller for a full boil.

I'm trying to decide right now which 60 quart I am going to get. One is on eBay and the other Amazon for about the same price with shipping. Both come without lid and I'm not sure I need to spend the extra $15 to get the lid with the pot.

That is a monster of a pot for the price. I don't think I know anyone with a mebership. I have to ask around, Thanks.

Keep your ears open. They routinely have shopping days where non members can shop for one day, but it doesn't happen often.

Latest posts

Back