Would like some advice on a Luau Brew Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappster

Reaction score
This fall I will be going to Hawaii for a first birthday Luau for my nephew. I thought it might be fun to brew a tropical beer to try to smuggle over there for the party. I think my idea for a recipe is totally loony, so I thought I would call on the advice of the experts to help me out.

I was going to start with a honeyweizen from midwest supplies which contains:
6 lbs. Wheat LME
2 lbs. Honey
8 oz. Carapils

2 oz. Styrian Goldings
Danstar Munich

And I had thoughts of adding pineapple (4 lbs fresh?) & coconut (2 lbs toasted?) to the secondary.

I have been reading the pineapple would probably need to be cooked for some enzymatic reasons if I'm not mistaken... and that it will ferment out very dry, so there are some concerns there.

If this whole idea sounds godawful I could start from scratch and try something with citra hops to try to get that pineappley flavor... let the brainstorming begin!

when I was in Hawaii a few months ago, I had a pretty decent coconut porter.

Pretty much tasted like a milk porter

Interesting... doesn't sound like the coconut porter tasted very tropical. Maybe I should skip the coconut and think of something different.

Maybe something with the citra/amarillo hops during the boil and mango in the secondary?

Back