would it work? bottle to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwheeler85

Reaction score
Wondering if anybody has tried this: I have a batch of already bottled homebrew that never got the level of carbonation I was looking for. Would it ruin the beer to pour all the bottles into a keg and then dial in the co2?

If you pour the beer out of bottles into another container, you risk oxidizing it and reducing its shelf life dramatically. Maybe you can rig up some sort of reverse siphon system to get it out of the bottle without oxidizing.

The question then becomes: is it worth the hassle? For the time you could probably brew the same batch again and carbonate it correctly...

The risk is very high of oxidation. If you could rig something up to make the process extremely gentle, it might work. I am thinking funnel to extremely small hose to the bottom of the keg that was previously filled with CO2.

Or, you could pop open all the bottles, drop some carb drops in em, and recap.

Ive done that before and it worked, but i had the keg gone in 2 weeks so i didnt notice any oxidation issues.

I have "watered down" a brew in a 3 gallon keg by mixing in 40oz commercial beers.

It worked. The BMC drinkers sucked that thing dry, quick. It tasted OK to me.

I just carbed the crap out of the beer in the keg overnight, put the bottles right next to the mouth of the keg, and gently poured. I hit the keg with a shot of CO2 a couple of times during the pouring. I was aiming to form a "pillow" of CO2 to help keep the O2 away.

Wondering if anybody has tried this: I have a batch of already bottled homebrew that never got the level of carbonation I was looking for. Would it ruin the beer to pour all the bottles into a keg and then dial in the co2?

I asked the same question last September. I was gentle and went from bottle to bucket to corny keg. No problems whatsoever. The beer tasted great.

Go for it.

Back