Would Amber Malt be Totally Out of Place in a Belgian Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucketnative

Reaction score
I have some Amber malt (8 oz) left over from a British dark mild that I previously made. I was thinking of using this up in a Belgian pale ale grist:

4 lb Pilsner
4 lb Munich
0.5 lb Amber
0.5 lb Crystal 40

Hopping to about 25 IBU, with spicier varieties (as opposed to fruity). Ardennes yeast.

I figure that the Amber might help to balance the Crystal. Am I off base?

It would be atypical to include both crystal and amber in a Belgian pale. I would say 4lb of Munich is too much as well. The grist should be mostly pilsner malt.

Palm Breweries and De Koninck Brewery both are Belgian breweries that make ambers. New Belgium's Fat Tire (brewed by the well-connected ex Rodenbach brewer) is a clone of Palm and goes even further than amber malt by using biscuit and chocolate malts.

I would say 4lb of Munich is too much as well. The grist should be mostly pilsner malt.

Just to note, I have found several recipes and articles stating that Munich can make up to 50% of the base malt for a traditional BPA. That's where I was going with the base malt, just a richer malt.

I ended up doing the following:
Pilsner - 44%
Munich 10L - 44%
UK Amber - 6%
Crystal 60 - 6% - LHBS was out of C40

Hopping:
60 min - 3.5 AAU Palisade (8.7 AA)
10 min - 2.0 AAU Palisade (8.7 AA)
5 min - 1.0 AAU Hersbrucker (2.0 AA)
0 min - 3.0 AAU Palisade (8.7 AA)
0 min - 1.0 AAU Hersbrucker (2.0 AA)

Yeast:
Safale T-58 @ 70°F

I'll update the thread with tasting notes at some point.

Just to note, I have found several recipes and articles stating that Munich can make up to 50% of the base malt for a traditional BPA. That's where I was going with the base malt, just a richer malt.

I ended up doing the following:
Pilsner - 44%
Munich 10L - 44%
UK Amber - 6%
Crystal 60 - 6% - LHBS was out of C40

Hopping:
60 min - 3.5 AAU Palisade (8.7 AA)
10 min - 2.0 AAU Palisade (8.7 AA)
5 min - 1.0 AAU Hersbrucker (2.0 AA)
0 min - 3.0 AAU Palisade (8.7 AA)
0 min - 1.0 AAU Hersbrucker (2.0 AA)

Yeast:
Safale T-58 @ 70°F

I'll update the thread with tasting notes at some point.
I just made a BPA with 4lb of pilsner, 2lb vienna, 1/2lb torrified wheat and 1 1/4 lbs of white Candi sugar. Initial tastes from the fermenter are good. I will send you tasting notes when it's done so we can compare.

Back