Worthless News!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desiderata

Reaction score
[Rant]I know the news is criticized a lot these days, but I have a different gripe than others I hear. I hate it when the news covers worthless things like American Idol. Those interested in that will watch the show! Since when did that become "news"?!!! I also hate what seems like a daily story of someone's strange/super pet. I think that Americans have become obsessed with animals or something.[/Rant]

Without getting too political (we all know news is biased in some way or another), what are some other worthless news stories?

Edit: that's one thing I like about reading a tangible newspaper or online news--I can pick and choose what I want to read.

Local reaction to any Global Issue.
ex. Going to a Iraqi restaurant to (confirm) that he/she supports the troops and that he/she wishes that there was an end to the war/violence.

duh.

Much like beer, major news networks are trying to appeal to a mass market. When you do that, you may be popular, but chances are that your product is pretty watered down.

There are plenty of sources for news coverage; why choose major network news?

I haven't watched network news regularly in at least a decade. I listen to NPR, read the WSJ, read the local paper, and read the Boston Globe online (and occassionally the NY Times online). If there's a BIG story and they're paying attention to something important, CNN. CNBC in the morning, Bloomberg TV is usually on in my office.

There's no reason at all to confine yourself to crappy news outlets.

Regardless of what you've been told or believe, the media is regulated by the Fed Gov't.

There are many items that are news worthy such as the recent admittance by E Howard Hunt that it was LJB and the CIA who killed JFK...how many soldiers have actually been wounded in the sandbox...the real reason why fuel prices are so high...(this one is great as you can just spin the wheel and get 1 of 5 answers and feed it to the public everyday and there ain't a damned thing they (we) can do about it)...the list goes on and on...and who cares about Matt Lauer anyway?

the_bird said:
If there's a BIG story and they're paying attention to something important, CNN. CNBC in the morning, Bloomberg TV is usually on in my office.

I see what you are saying, but the 24 hour breaking newscycle has its own pitfalls. Useless footage loops, recycled pundits and talking-head speculation, citing that other news agencies are reporting something (that was not actually fact-checked) tends to overblow relevance and newsworthiness.

Do we really need to trot out a paramedic that used to work near VT for his ad-libbed reaction while footage of crime tape and university buildings plays in the background only to be interrupted by a senator that backed the Brady Bill for his reaction?

why is it news when willie nelson faces another drug possession charge? hello! it's willie nelson!

desiderata said:
[/Rant].[Rant]

The html geek inside of me can't help but correct your tags. The one with the slash is a closing tag - you end with that one :mug:

I don't watch the news.
I don't read the paper.
I don't listen to news on the radio.
I don't subscribe to CNN email news alerts.
I don't have news sent to my cell phone.

Haven't done any of these for nearly a decade.

I'll admit, I'm a news hermit. Of course I can't help but get dragged into "did you hear about ...blah, blah, blah... on the news last night???" around the office.

I'm pert near 50 now and happy to do without. Now...show me how my life will be better at the end of the day by subscribing this "news" as defined by the media...and maybe I'll give a listen.

I can only (anecdotally) attest that if you give up paying attention to the crap coming at you 24/7 for one week, you just might find that your'e a tad more cheerful at the end of the week.

Most of the news sickens me as do the people on it. I watch an hour or so just to stay up to date. What really pisses me off is celebrity news, who on this earth really gives a ****.

speaking of american idol...

some interesting graffiti around austin is popping up.

"American Idol
or
American IDLE?"

kinda clever eh?

jjasghar said:
speaking of american idol...

some interesting graffiti around austin is popping up.

"American Idol
or
American IDLE?"

kinda clever eh?

Austin...
and they didn't put a k in American? Disappointed.

rdwj said:
The html geek inside of me can't help but correct your tags. The one with the slash is a closing tag - you end with that one :mug:
Done.
What are you, an accountant or something? ;)

Ryanh1801 said:
Most of the news sickens me as do the people on it. I watch an hour or so just to stay up to date. What really pisses me off is celebrity news, who on this earth really gives a ****.
My SWMBO. :D
I agree though, if I wanted to know the latest gossip, I'd watch soap operas or read the tabloids.

For quite a few years now, my contention has been that 90% of it is not "news", it is trivia. I feel better when I don't watch it.

Yeah, I don't like much of what is on TV. When I do have the TV on, I tend to have it on the news as background noise.

Entertainment Tonight, the 'news' show that's only about pointless celebrity lives... Since when did Anna Nicole Smith, god rest her soul, become such a big star that regular news stations deemed it necessary to cover it for 2 weeks and entertainment tonight is STILL covering it. Listen people, celebrities are humans too, stay the f*ck out of their business.

Who cares if baby Suri is Zenu's not Tom's
Who cares if Angelina Jolie has a bigger d*ck than brad pitt

Quite frankly if i could kill one group of people on this planet it would be Entertainment News people and the people who like to watch it.

cha ngo said:
For quite a few years now, my contention has been that 90% of it is not "news", it is trivia. I feel better when I don't watch it.

But just think in 10 years it'll be a question in trivial pursuit, and right when you're going for your elusive brown peice you'll get the question of "Who is the father of Danny-lynn?".... You'll be rolling on the floor laughing, and everyone will look at you in disbeleif when you say.... I'd put the answer but i really don't know nor care...

Back