worth it to do full boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer75

Reaction score
Is it worth it to do full boils? The kettle I have now will only allow me to boil about 2.5 gallons. I've heard it mentioned that doing a full 5 gallon boil will yield better results.
I do have a bit of funds I can spend now on this now. I do extract and partial mash brewing at the moment. Not sure if I will ever make the jump to all grain at some point.
Just didn't want to spend the money for this if it wasn't going to be worth it.

And if so, is an 8gallon kettle acceptable? no risk of boil overs?
I found these two:
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/brewin...omy-kettles/32-qt-stainless-steel-kettle.html

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/brewin...-stainless-steel-kettle-w-bazooka-screen.html

How do you convert a partial boil recipe to full boil?

It's not necessarily a partial boil recipe. They all make 5 gallons. You just add the wort to the carboy with the remaining water you need to bring it up to 5 gallons. Recipe would remain the same. You just boil all 5 gallons together instead of less and then adding water to make up the difference.

you do need to adjust/lower the hop schedule otherwise you'll end up with more bitterness than anticipated

the gravity of the wort will effect the hop utilization, higher gravity = lower utilization and thus the need for more bittering hops for partial boils

partial boil wort gravity is generally twice as high as full boil (for same recipe) because you have only 1/2 the volume in the kettle

You can adjust the hop schedule, but not everyone does.

If you do purchase a bigger kettle, you should consider how you will cool it down (e.g. wort chiller).

I never thought I would jump to all grain, but after doing two full boil extracts I had to make the jump. You may want to research Brew in a Bag (BIAB), that's the route I chose. I purchased a 60 quart aluminum pot with a lid and strainer for $60 on ebay. I've done five BIAB brews and I'm enjoying it. I also have some flexibility to jump to a 10 gallon batch if I want, pending the grain bill is not too large.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-qt-ALUM-.../140610443296?pt=Cookware&hash=item20bd091820

I have always done full boils so I could not tell you the difference but I read a post from another member who switched to full boil and he said switching to a full boil from a partial is like the difference between making out with Rosie O'Donald and Angelina Jolie. I would also spend the money on a wort chiller if you don't already have one, I can bring 5 gallons from boiling to 70F in about 20-25 min. Another benifit of a copper wort chiller is zinc is extracted from the copper while you have it in the boiling wort to sanatize it.

When I switched to full boil (extract), I finally got the aroma and flavor on my pale ale. WORLD of difference. Floral and citrus nuances that were just missing doing my 2 gallons boils.

I highly recommend it.

You can adjust the hop schedule, but not everyone does.

If you do purchase a bigger kettle, you should consider how you will cool it down (e.g. wort chiller).

I never thought I would jump to all grain, but after doing two full boil extracts I had to make the jump. You may want to research Brew in a Bag (BIAB), that's the route I chose. I purchased a 60 quart aluminum pot with a lid and strainer for $60 on ebay. I've done five BIAB brews and I'm enjoying it. I also have some flexibility to jump to a 10 gallon batch if I want, pending the grain bill is not too large.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-qt-ALUM-.../140610443296?pt=Cookware&hash=item20bd091820

Where did you get your bag at? Will something like this work? http://www.midwestsupplies.com/nylon-brew-bucket-filter-bag-fine-mesh.html or http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_403&products_id=1058

Full volume beats partial boil hands down. I started out doing partials on the stove and when I think back to those days I just cringe.

archer75 said:

I read the comment on the bag at Austin homebrew and it sounds like that will work. However, I've have not used either bag. I made my bag from polyester voile I purchased at bed bath and beyond, which is essentially curtain shears. Cost something like $8 to make two bags.

I read the comment on the bag at Austin homebrew and it sounds like that will work. However, I've have not used either bag. I made my bag from polyester voile I purchased at bed bath and beyond, which is essentially curtain shears. Cost something like $8 to make two bags.

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the kettle you linked along with a secondary fermenter and other miscellaneous items to go with what I already have.

Brew in a bag here I come!

Now i'm off to find a good all grain pumpkin ale recipe.

There are pros and cons to full boil.

Pros:
Better hop flavor and aroma and better utilization so you can use less bittering hops
Can get lighter color with less carmelization
Easy transition to AG

Cons:
Takes longer to boil more water
Probably can't boil 6+ gallons on the stove so need propane or heat stick
Chiller needed to cool quickly since you don't have top off water to help cool

So overall it will improve the overall quality of your beer but takes a bit longer and you need some more equipment. Take heed though, full boil is the gateway drug on the slippery slope to all grain. Enjoy!

I have to ask since I just got a blichmann 10 gallon and tested just boiling 5 or so gallons of water. I got to a boil with the lid on, yeah I know not to use a lid when brewing, but after taking the lid off I had a hard time maintaining a boil. My pot almost fully covers two burners on my stove. If I use two burners and creatively place the metal shield sheet do you guys think that should maintain a boil OK? I'd think two stovetop burners should work no? Also, wort is thicker than water thereby a better heat retainer/conductor no?

Rev.

you do need to adjust/lower the hop schedule otherwise you'll end up with more bitterness than anticipated

the gravity of the wort will effect the hop utilization, higher gravity = lower utilization and thus the need for more bittering hops for partial boils

partial boil wort gravity is generally twice as high as full boil (for same recipe) because you have only 1/2 the volume in the kettle

This is exactly what I imagined. I am reading a book on brewing now and they mention that hop utilization is a factor of 2 when diong half boils..... So the question remains, how do you convert an extract partial boil to an extract full boil?

This is exactly what I imagined. I am reading a book on brewing now and they mention that hop utilization is a factor of 2 when diong half boils..... So the question remains, how do you convert an extract partial boil to an extract full boil?

Use a software like Beersmith or any of the others out there, some free some paid. There are even apps on the iPhone and Android.

That said, there was a thread about how this was tested and found to be pretty much not very noticeable. I forget the website they did the brewing podcast on, but there were several batches made with different boil amounts and tested by I think three different people and the results were kinda all over the place.

Either way, I personally am not convinced the hop utilization is anywhere near as dramatic as it's sometimes made out to be. If you think about it, when you boil hops the oils contained inside are going to come out. I can't personally see how half the liquid would suddenly equal a lot less bittering as if the higher gravity wort is really keeping the alpha acids locked in the hops over a 60 minute boil. Not saying there isn't a difference, just saying I think it probably wouldn't be all that noticeable.

But disclaimer - I've never personally tested this and am still a very new brewer so I could be talking out my behind.

Rev.

Either way, I personally am not convinced the hop utilization is anywhere near as dramatic as it's sometimes made out to be. If you think about it, when you boil hops the oils contained inside are going to come out. I can't personally see how half the liquid would suddenly equal a lot less bittering as if the higher gravity wort is really keeping the alpha acids locked in the hops over a 60 minute boil. Not saying there isn't a difference, just saying I think it probably wouldn't be all that noticeable.

But disclaimer - I've never personally tested this and am still a very new brewer so I could be talking out my behind.

Rev.

We should probably leave these matters in the hands of a professional chemist who knows how and why these reactions take place.

If I use two burners and creatively place the metal shield sheet do you guys think that should maintain a boil OK? I'd think two stovetop burners should work no? Also, wort is thicker than water thereby a better heat retainer/conductor no?

You might be able to keep a boil with leaving the lid on part way. On my stove, even running across 2 burners + bridge between them, it's not enough to hold a rolling boil. I ended up build two heat sticks (1500w + 2000w) and they rock! :rockin:

Also search on Flyguy's improved stovetop boiling thread.

If you have a 5 gal recipe, it doesn't matter if you do a partial or full boil other than adjusting for hop utilization. I personally split the recipe in half, start with 2.75 gals of H2O, adjust the hops and boil away, twice. When I'm done, there is no need to add any additional water.

I don't need a separate burner, can do it on the stove and use my standard wort chiller.

Can't go wrong
Toy4Rick

Back