Wort Transformation Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a local brewery is having a wort transformation competition, and I got one of the entries. This is the first time I've done one of these competitions and have some questions.

First, they have not given any insight into what is in the wort, what the gravity is, what the mash temp was, etc. Is this typical? I am trying to come up with a plan, but this is a bit hard to do without some basic info.

Second, do I need to do something outside the box to have any chance? My general approach is to brew established beers but to do it very well. E.g., I make one hell of a dry stout that everyone seems to like. But I pretty much use nothing but barley, wheat, yeast, hops, and water in my beers. Do I have to try something off the wall to have a chance here?

Is this the first year they've done this? If it's not try to find out what's won in the past. I'm of the opinion that while I completely appreciate a lot of the crazy things, recipes and out of the "norm" ingredients, going on in the beer world right now, I appreciate it even more when a simple beer is done to perfection. But then again I'm no judge.

Back