Wort too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rookiecd

Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I'd like to get some opinions on whether or not I will be ok with my batch of brew.
I pitched the yeast into the primary but worried now that maybe the wort was too warm. I was a little too impatient. I think the temp was around 95F. The yeast took off and the air lock was bubbling in a couple hours. Do you think it will be ok and what kinds of things should I watch out for? It's 3 days later and the air lock is still bubbling.

Yeast are good up to about 120F, where they start to debilitate, but they don't die until about 140F.

Yeast LOVEEEEEE 95F, as you could probably tell by the fast, vigorous fermentation. However, the reason brewers purposefully decrease temps and slow the yeast down is that at those higher temps they produce much higher quantities of esters and fusel alcohols, but of which are undesireable off-flavors in most beer styles.

You are going to have a beer, but it's going to taste a little off due to those off-flavors from the hot fermentation.

SLOWWW, COOOOLLLL fermentation is always cleaner fermentation.

Defintely learn patience. It's ingredient #1 in good beer.

Thanks for your responses.
When will the airlock stop bubbling? If I leave the wort fermenting longer do you think it will improve the taste?

Thanks for your responses.
When will the airlock stop bubbling? If I leave the wort fermenting longer do you think it will improve the taste?

The airlock will stop bubbling when gas is done escaping through it. Leaving the beer on the yeast for a while post fermentation - a week or so - might help to clean up things like diacetyl and acetaldehyde but I think most of the fusals and esters are there to stay. How far did the temp drop after pitching would you say?

No,fusel alcohols will clean up too. As long as off flavor compounds didn't build up too much,they can be aged out. Leave it after FG is reached at least a week. then at least 3-4 weeks in the bottles at 70F or better will help as well. But really high levels of these compounds won't go away completely.

Well I put it in my basement which is pretty cold right now, about 58F. At first the outside stick on thermometer did not register, but by the next day the temp was at 68F

Consistency of temp is pretty important too. Pitching at 95, going down to 58, and fluctuating up to 68 is quite rough on the yeast.

In most cases, you want to pitch within about 10 degrees of the temp you will ferment at, and you want to ferment on the lower end of the yeast's viable spectrum and hold that temp within about +/- 3 degrees. There are a few style exceptions, but that's what you want to aim for on most ale fermentations.

Chalk it up to experience, but tighten up your procedure on future brews and you'll make better beer! Temp control dramatically improved my beer, probably more than anything else I've ever done.

your beer will likely have some undesirable flavors to it. you might get any of the following: very fruity, solvent (nail polish), plastic, band-aid. how much of these flavors you get will depend on several factors including how long the beer stayed hot and what strain of yeast you used. time will age out some of these flavors but they'll never completely disappear.

Latest posts

Back