Wort smells sour???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymctones

Reaction score
Hi I just started brewing and this is my first batch. I dont feel like I am off on the right foot though. My stove cut off 45 mins into boiling my yeast and I only saw bubbles from the fermentation for the first 2 days. I waited 7 days and tested the gravity with a hydrometer 2 days ago and it was 1.015, the instructions for my brew says it should be between 1.041-1.044 so its still pretty low, To my surprise though it actually smelled like pretty good beer!!! I checked the gravity again yesterday and it was the same about 1.015 but I noticed that the beer had a sour smell to it and that there was foam on the top which it didnt have the first time I checked.

My questions are is the sour smell a bad sign and should I rack it to the bottling container since the gravity was the same both days?

sorry for the long post but I appreciate any help or advice.

The brew is for Front Porch Pale Ale from Midwest Supplies

I waited 7 days and tested the gravity with a hydrometer 2 days ago and it was 1.015, the instructions for my brew says it should be between 1.041-1.044 so its still pretty low

It appears you are confusing the original gravity (the specific gravity right before you add yeast) and the final gravity (which is what you're measuring when your hydrometer measurements level out after fermentation is complete). The specific gravity will become LOWER as fermentation continues since the more dense sugar is getting turned into ethanol (which is less dense than water) and CO2 (which is released out of the airlock). 1.015 isn't really a cause for concern unless you were shooting for a different FG and really wanted to be picky about it. I'd say your best bet is to RDWHAHB

I about had a heart attack when I read "boiling my yeast".

1) Opening and closing a fermenter can be bad juju.
2) I too would love to see pictures though, I've seen mean times where people confused krausen with pellicle. Was the foam like slick/slimy bubbles or streaky. The sour smell has me more concerned. Was sour smell like vinegar (Acetobacter/acetic acid) or like yogurt (Lacto/lactic acid) at all?

This late in I have a hard time believing you got an infection. But if you do, I would avoid bottling right away, especially with that FG, or you risk bottle bombs.

It would help if we knew more about your sanitation methods, transfer methods, and hydrometer sample taking methods. The short boil time isn't a particular cause for concern, other than meaning that the beer will be a bit less bitter than expected.

It appears you are confusing the original gravity (the specific gravity right before you add yeast) and the final gravity (which is what you're measuring when your hydrometer measurements level out after fermentation is complete). The specific gravity will become LOWER as fermentation continues since the more dense sugar is getting turned into ethanol (which is less dense than water) and CO2 (which is released out of the airlock). 1.015 isn't really a cause for concern unless you were shooting for a different FG and really wanted to be picky about it. I'd say your best bet is to RDWHAHB
Hi guper, thanks for the response. I do believe I am confusing specific with final gravity which makes me feel a bit better about the readings. Thanks for the clarification

I about had a heart attack when I read "boiling my yeast".

1) Opening and closing a fermenter can be bad juju.
2) I too would love to see pictures though, I've seen mean times where people confused krausen with pellicle. Was the foam like slick/slimy bubbles or streaky. The sour smell has me more concerned. Was sour smell like vinegar (Acetobacter/acetic acid) or like yogurt (Lacto/lactic acid) at all?

This late in I have a hard time believing you got an infection. But if you do, I would avoid bottling right away, especially with that FG, or you risk bottle bombs.

Haha yea my bad, I posted that late last night so I was a little tired.

I will definitely take a pic and post it tonight so you guys can get an idea of what it looks like. The foam itself looked more like a thin layer of head from a freshly poured beer, maybe it was from moving it out of the closet to allow me to open it. The smell was more of a lemony smell, I don't recall any specific odors but I will make sure to take note of it tonight.

Are infections less likely to take hold the longer the batch has been fermenting?

And what in the world is a bottle bomb? Is it as dangerous as it sounds?

Thanks for the help

It would help if we knew more about your sanitation methods, transfer methods, and hydrometer sample taking methods. The short boil time isn't a particular cause for concern, other than meaning that the beer will be a bit less bitter than expected.
Hi calypso, so sanitation was basically just washing everything that came in contact with the wort or ingredients with antibacterial soap and letting it dry, probably not the preferred method lol but I have since bought some cleaner meant specifically for it. Transfer method was just pouring from the boiling pot to the fermentation bucket which is plastic and the readings where done by opening the lid completely and placing the hydrometer in the batch after cleaning it like I did the other equipment.

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated.

Are infections less likely to take hold the longer the batch has been fermenting?

And what in the world is a bottle bomb? Is it as dangerous as it sounds

Alcohol does a good job keeping stuff clean later on, but not perfect. If left alone an infection won't randomly pop up if everything has been done correctly (sanitization, full air lock, etc).

As for bottle bombs. Imagine a glass bottle that is under pressure. The pressure keeps building from CO2 past what the bottle can hold. BOOM. Infections like to finish beer out a lot lower than you would expect because Lacto, Brett, etc. munch on things that normal Sacc doesn't eat. Because of this, if there is a higher gravity left and an infection is present, there is an increased likelihood of bottle bombs.

Hi calypso, so sanitation was basically just washing everything that came in contact with the wort or ingredients with antibacterial soap and letting it dry, probably not the preferred method lol but I have since bought some cleaner meant specifically for it. Transfer method was just pouring from the boiling pot to the fermentation bucket which is plastic and the readings where done by opening the lid completely and placing the hydrometer in the batch after cleaning it like I did the other equipment.

StarSans is going to be your new best friend. There is a difference between cleansing and sanitizing. Stuff like Oxyclean and PBW are great for cleaning, but terrible for making all the bad bugs go away.

I've never sanitized with antibacterial soap, but I can't imagine it producing a good result. By chance was the soap scented (hinting at the lemon scent you are getting).

Yeah, so as you've already learned, that's not a good idea. First of all, I wouldn't use anti-bacterial soap. I don't trust the stuff and I don't want whatever they use to give it anti-bacterial properties sticking around on my gear. As VampTrump said, pick up some PBW or unscented Oxiclean.

Second, even if you wash your stuff well, in the process of drying it you risk it picking up more wayward beasties. Buy some StarSan, mix up a batch, fill a spray bottle, and use that on everything before it touches your beer. Everything.

Yeah, so as you've already learned, that's not a good idea. First of all, I wouldn't use anti-bacterial soap. I don't trust the stuff and I don't want whatever they use to give it anti-bacterial properties sticking around on my gear. As VampTrump said, pick up some PBW or unscented Oxiclean.

Second, even if you wash your stuff well, in the process of drying it you risk it picking up more wayward beasties. Buy some StarSan, mix up a batch, fill a spray bottle, and use that on everything before it touches your beer. Everything.

This and do not fear the star san foam, embrace it in all it's sanitizing glory

OK!!! so foam is gone and the sour smell with it???

smells like beer again...I took another reading while I had it open and is looks like it came down just a little bit to just below 1.015.

Everything look ok? Is it normal to have the residue on the side of the bucket?

Leave it for another few days or begin bottling?

Thanks again for all the help guys

beer2.jpg

beer3.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Oh crap residue on the side is a bad sign!

Actually that's a very good sign, that shows where your krausen was. Now close that lid and let it be.

Oh crap residue on the side is a bad sign!

Actually that's a very good sign, that shows where your krausen was. Now close that lid and let it be.

hahah thanks vamp, I will do that for another few days and then try bottling!!!

cheers buddy and thanks for the help

"Sour smell: could just be the CO2 that is being put off during fermentation....burn your nose? Normal. CO2 mixed with water (moisture in your nose...throat)....makes carbonic acid....sour smell and burns...totally normal if that is what you are experiencing

"Sour smell: could just be the CO2 that is being put off during fermentation....burn your nose? Normal. CO2 mixed with water (moisture in your nose...throat)....makes carbonic acid....sour smell and burns...totally normal if that is what you are experiencing

Hi mgortel, actually yes it did sort of burn my nose!

Glad to know, I'm thinking that was probably what it was.

Thanks for the info

Hi mgortel, actually yes it did sort of burn my nose!

Glad to know, I'm thinking that was probably what it was.

I had the same experience when i first got started......and thought it was an infection....until someone on here chimed in and told me what it was

Back