"wort" or "wert"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightwingnut

Reaction score
Does anyone actually pronounce it "wert"? I've read in several places that that is the correct pronunciation, but I can't bring myself to use it. I just don't like "wert". Looks like "wort", so I say "wort". So there.

rightwingnut said:
Does anyone actually pronounce it "wert"? I've read in several places that that is the correct pronunciation, but I can't bring myself to use it. I just don't like "wert". Looks like "wort", so I say "wort". So there.

I have trouble with "wert" too. I say it as I see it and I see "wort". :D

Regards,

Dennis

rightwingnut said:

I'm with you mate. Yes the right way is "wert" but that just sounds plain silly! Sorry to the purists but "wort" it is for me too.

I've always spelled it wort and pronounced it 'wert'
when I hear it pronounced 'wart' I find myself wincing

Do you pronounce WORD as if it were spelled 'werd' or 'ward?'

Now I'm curious. Where did the brewing words and terms come from? Wort, Trub, Mash, Racking cane (sounds painful, if you're a guy), etc. Anyone know?

Dennis

Say it wert, spell it wort. It's just the way it is.

What's more other brewers will know what you're talking about and not wince if you say it right ;)

Janx

arachnyd said:
I've always spelled it wort and pronounced it 'wert'
when I hear it pronounced 'wart' I find myself wincing

Do you pronounce WORD as if it were spelled 'werd' or 'ward?'

If you meet some one from Liverpool England, they would pronounce word as werd! The same applies to wort. Maybe it started here?

Darn near everyone says "word" as werd. I don't think it's a British thing. It's just the way the word "word" is pronounced.

Janx said:
Darn near everyone says "word" as werd. I don't think it's a British thing. It's just the way the word "word" is pronounced.

I've never heard an American pronounce it as a Liverpudlian does the "o" in word is said like the "e" in echo. It's not a British thing either just a local Liverpool dialect. I suppose you have to hear it to appreciate.

Roger said:
I've never heard an American pronounce it as a Liverpudlian does the "o" in word is said like the "e" in echo. It's not a British thing either just a local Liverpool dialect. I suppose you have to hear it to appreciate.

Liverpool...great football team....of course, I'm partial to Arsenal...1, they named their team "The Gunners"...and 2, any team that uses lyrics from the Sex Pistols gets my vote! :D

I don't understand the concept of knowing the correct pronunciation of a word and then deciding to go the other way. The language is full of nonintuitive components as it is but as brewers, we should respect the terminology. Might as well just call it sugar water.

I don't understand the concept of knowing the correct pronunciation of a word and then deciding to go the other way. The language is full of nonintuitive components as it is but as brewers, we should respect the terminology. Might as well just call it sugar water.

would you say that as "shugger wahtar" or "shoogar wadder"?

I believe the word "wort" comes from German. So, it would be pronounced with the 'W' sounding like a 'V' and the 'or' sounding like a 'air' (as in 'breathing air').

Say it WERT. If you say it the other way you are talking about something on your finger that has to be burned away.........

Well, the dog fish guy from the brew masters TV show pronounced it wort on this weeks show, so I will from now on consider wort to be way to pronounce it. :D

/ EOT

Am I dreaming or did I hear Sam pronounce it "wort" on brewmasters?

Yup he said wart. I heard it pronounced that way when I took the New Glarus brewery tour last year as well. The guy giving the tour was a Siebel graduate. I guess it is like croissant being turned into croisandwich.(at least according to Dennis Leary)

Wait, its pronounced wert? Ohnoes! I've been pronouncing it wrong! Do you think it'll lead to off-flavors? ;)

Basically, when I hear somebody say "wart," I think they're stupid... every brewing text out there specifically tells you how to pronounce it correctly.

These are the same people who say "nookular."

I've always pronounced it 'wort' but I was in Dublin last week and the guides at both the Guinness brewery and the Jamesons distillery pronounced it 'wert'.

Now I don't know what to do...

Basically, when I hear somebody say "wart," I think they're stupid... every brewing text out there specifically tells you how to pronounce it correctly.

These are the same people who say "nookular."

Most dictionaries say either pronunciation is acceptable.

The word is based off the old English word "wyrt". Which suggests that pronouncing the modern version as "wert" is proper.

However, if you expand your view to look at how pronunciation for similar old or middle English words evolved, then "wort" is also proper. For instance, passing gas is not called a "fert," which is how we would pronounce the word today if not for the evolution of the language.

When you leave your house in the morning, are you going to "work" or "werk"?

Back