Wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastrega

Reaction score
I just started brewing and the first recipe says to top off the wort with clean water to 5 gallon line. Is there any reason why i couldnt use clean distilled or filtered water and freeze it with lid. Take it out 5 minutes from wort being done and running hot water around sides so ice block is put into wort?

I wouldn't do that, in this case, just do what the recipe call for. The goal of top off water, is a to thin out the concentrated wort and cool it down to proper fermenting temps.

Yes, you can put frozen (clean, filtered) water in your wort as top off - that will cool it off faster, which is a good thing. You do run the risk of cooling it down too much and then needing to let it come back up to temp. You want the temp to be in the mid 60s to 70 when you pitch your yeast. Good luck!

+1. I use frozen blocks of pre-boiled water to cool my wort for partial boils. Works like a charm.

When I brew I buy 6 gallons of any spring water at the grocery store. Input 2 in the freezer early in the day, when they get really cold, not freezing yet ill transfer to the fridge. Cools down the 3 used in my partial boil. I buy a 6th to compensate for boil off

Back