Wort Chiller water pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbillingsby

Reaction score
I am buying 10 gallon pot soon and am going to make a wort chiller for it. I brew on my stove top and so I am not able to hook up a water hose and my kitchen faucet does not allow for any type of connection to a hose. So with that said I am going to buy a water pump and was wondering what size I should buy. I found a 396 gph pump on amazon for a good price.

To have adequate flow to chill quickly, it's hard to beat the 1268gph submersible pump from Northern tool, usually on sale for $39. It flows about as well as a garden hose attached to an outside faucet.

I have a pump that I was thinking of using to conserve water with my immersion chiller. Normally I have a fairly low flow, say around 100 to 120 gal per hour. Can something like a dimmer switch be used on the input 120V to control the flow rate of the pump? Or would the restriction on the output water flow through the connections to the hose for the chiller reduce the flow rate? I'm a bit concerned about the pressure through my immersion chiller hoses causing leaks.

I have a pump that I was thinking of using to conserve water with my immersion chiller. Normally I have a fairly low flow, say around 100 to 120 gal per hour. Can something like a dimmer switch be used on the input 120V to control the flow rate of the pump? Or would the restriction on the output water flow through the connections to the hose for the chiller reduce the flow rate? I'm a bit concerned about the pressure through my immersion chiller hoses causing leaks.

I'm not an engineer, so I don't have the math to show you, but the higher flow rate will not cause the pressure to increase that drastically.

Back