Wort Chiller or This Thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_Persitz

Reaction score
So I am deciding whether or not I want to build a copper wort chiller or just buy one of these: http://www.katom.com/094-RCU128.html

Anyone have experience with those? Do they cool quickly?

It would be cheaper to buy one of those than to build a wort chiller (probably about 40 bucks) and much easier, but if a wort chiller is going to be more effective it's worth the time.

looks interesting get it and try it out and report back. IMO the less things you need to keep sanitized the better the advantage to a wort chiller is that you can introduce 5-10 min left in your boil which will clean it up. Once your wort gets 160 and below its essential that everything stays sanitary.

do most people put the chiller coil in their wort, then run cold water through it.
id think its more effective to put the coil in a bucket of icewater, then pump your wort through it.
is there a reason this is a bad idea.

do most people put the chiller coil in their wort, then run cold water through it.
id think its more effective to put the coil in a bucket of icewater, then pump your wort through it.

I do this and it works really good IMO. But you can also stick the chiller into your kettle and pump cold water through that with just the same effectiveness. Prepare for a debate with this though. I sanitize with 180 degree water running through the copper piping prior to brewing then acid wash with starsan. Repeat when done as apart of your clean up.

Most people without pumps do, yes.

The thing with that wand is they take up a lot of freezer space and one probably won't do it. Would use them to cool off soups in the kitchen.

I'm looking at buying a 20' Immersion for 42.99 from my LHBS. Doesn't seem like I could make a 25ft any cheaper.

That's about right due to the copper being expensive but i assure you its a wise investment. Try Above the Rest LHBS in Tigard its a kickass place and good prices. Or Let's Brew off Stark Blvd

Awesome! Thanks for the tips!

I called home depot and a 20' roll of 3/8" tubing is 24.99. The 42.99 chiller comes with tubing and a connection, so I might be saving like $10 making it myself. Not worth the time!

I called home depot and a 20' roll of 3/8" tubing is 24.99. The 42.99 chiller comes with tubing and a connection, so I might be saving like $10 making it myself. Not worth the time!

That was the exact same conclusion that I came to when I bought mine from the LHBS.

It works great but pumping wort through a copper coil requires a "high temp, food grade" pump and not everyone has one.

Running water through a coil only requires a connection to a water supply (sink, hose, etc).

Have you looked at copper tubing at Home Depot?
yes, it comes in 10 foot legnths, 1/2 inch wide for 10$ not worth it

I'm looking at buying a 20' Immersion for 42.99 from my LHBS. Doesn't seem like I could make a 25ft any cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/6363204859/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
this...
It works great but pumping wort through a copper coil requires a "high temp, food grade" pump and not everyone has a one.

Running water through a coil only requires a connection to a water supply (sink, hose, etc).
excelent point sir

Last edited by a moderator:
keep an eye on craigslist. i found a guy that had to quit brewing, and was selling his 50' 1/2" immersion cooler for $20

IIRC, a year or two someone experimented with paddles like those, and wasn't too happy with the results. I could be wrong, but seems like the paddle warmed up way too quickly to do much good. It's not so difficult to get wort down to about 100; the last 30-35 degrees usually takes as long as the previous 100.

Also, if you search a bit, there've been some good scientific explanations here about why running cold water through an IC works better than running wort through an IC that's sitting in cold water.

When I made my IC, I called all the plumbing supply places in town. Got 50' of tubing for way cheaper than any of the big box stores had it. People have also had really good luck with coppertubingsales.com.

Good luck!

I dont understand why you're cringing at the thought of having to make your own and save $10. If that's the case, why even bother with Homebrewing? I try to do as much as I can DIY, it's rewarding to me. To each his own, I guess.

I dont understand why you're cringing at the thought of having to make your own and save $10. If that's the case, why even bother with Homebrewing? I try to do as much as I can DIY, it's rewarding to me. To each his own, I guess.

Because $10 isn't worth 30 minutes of my time and a possibly inferior product. I might not even save. Home Depot around me was like $30 for a 20 foot roll of copper tubing. After I buy fittings and hose that's gonna cost me about the same as I spent. So why would I spend the time?

I homebrew because I like to drink beer and I like to create. But if there isnt significant savings and it's not going to alter my beer at all, why go through the hassle?

This is quite a leap....guy doesn't want to save 10 bucks and make his own IC so therefore he shouldn't brew beer? Kinda *****baggy if you ask me

This is quite a leap....guy doesn't want to save 10 bucks and make his own IC so therefore he shouldn't brew beer? Kinda *****baggy if you ask me

Definitely didn't mean to imply he shouldn't be brewing. I was just assuming that as a homebrewer, DIY is part of the fun for everyone. It seems to be a huge part of the spirit on this forum. Thanks for the name calling by the way, it makes me feel special. :)

Definitely didn't mean to imply he shouldn't be brewing. I was just assuming that as a homebrewer, DIY is part of the fun for everyone. It seems to be a huge part of the spirit on this forum. Thanks for the name calling by the way, it makes me feel special. :)

Sorry I don't think you are a D Bag. Here have a picture of a cute puppy.

Awesome.jpg

I hate dogs that can't spell.

Hahaha.

DIY is definitely fun. That's why I took back my premade mash tun and built one. BUT--if there's no savings or impact what's the point? A wort chiller is a wort chiller is a wort chiller. It's not like the one I make for the same price is going to be any better.

Hahaha.

DIY is definitely fun. That's why I took back my premade mash tun and built one. BUT--if there's no savings or impact what's the point? A wort chiller is a wort chiller is a wort chiller. It's not like the one I make for the same price is going to be any better.

You're right. I just like making things, so the money part isn't really an issue for me because I prefer to build stuff. It keeps me busy and out of trouble.

Whichever you decide to do, good luck! I've had a lot of success with my IC vs. ice baths. It's all about the beer =)

You're right. I just like making things, so the money part isn't really an issue for me because I prefer to build stuff. It keeps me busy and out of trouble.

Whichever you decide to do, good luck! I've had a lot of success with my IC vs. ice baths. It's all about the beer =)

And I loathe it because I don't have a lot of tools and it takes me 2x the amount of time a normal person would spend!

Latest posts

Back