Wort chiller hose fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kassad

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase my first wort chiller from the NY Brew Supply. It is their SS wort chiller:

https://www.nybrewsupply.com/collec...with-garden-hose-fittings?variant=42199974356

I am planning on connecting this to a submersible pump and am wondering if it will have one male and one female hose fittings, or if it comes with additional fittings so that I can have two female?

I am also purchasing the clamps, hose barbs, hose, hose adaptors, etc and it takes 3 weeks for stuff to ship to me because I don't live in the U.S. so I want to get it right.

From looking at the picture it seems like there is one male and one female hose fitting but I wanted to make sure.

From the picture it indeed looks it comes with a male and female hose fitting. Nothing else.

Don't you have regular garden hoses where you live? That's what most people use here in the US. A long hose from the (outdoor) spigot to the chiller and another one for the outlet to wherever you want the water to go (plants, trees, drain, etc.).

Make sure there's a rubber washer on each side that connects to the chiller or it will leak dirty hose water into your wort.

From the picture it indeed looks it comes with a male and female hose fitting. Nothing else.

Don't you have regular garden hoses where you live? That's what most people use here in the US. A long hose from the (outdoor) spigot to the chiller and another one for the outlet to wherever you want the water to go (plants, trees, drain, etc.).

Make sure there's a rubber washer on each side that connects to the chiller or it will leak dirty hose water into your wort.

I'll be using this to recirculate ice water with a submersible pump in it.

I don't know where you live, and if water use is restricted or more expensive than ice, but I know ice isn't cheap.

For maximum efficiency, I'd bring the temps down from boiling (212F) as far down as you can go with regular tap water, to say 100-120F. This depends on the temp of your (ground) water source. Then use ice to knock it down the last 30-40° to ferm temps. Otherwise you'd be wasting a lot of ice (in the 210-120F range) where it really doesn't count.

You could collect the water from the first main chilling part in a barrel, plastic drum or so if you need to be conscious of that.

To get maximum chilling effect, you'd either need to move the coil around in the wort, or move the wort around in the kettle.

Another thought, if you can locally source copper or stainless coil you can easily build your own. May not look as nice, but be just as functional. There are chiller designs that use 2 or 3 coils, like those at Jaded Brewing, a good source of inspiration.

"Regular" garden hose fittings are really only regular in the US. Other countries use different standard(s), mostly BSP (UK and former dominions and much of Europe) based.

I recirculate ice water the same way you want too, and get from 200 or so to 63 in 15 mins or less, I don't find starting with tsp water increases my efficiency, it actually slows down the cooling process for me

You should be able to find barbed garden hose fittings to match the tubing that's included if the supplied ones are wrong

I recirculate ice water the same way you want too, and get from 200 or so to 63 in 15 mins or less, I don't find starting with tsp water increases my efficiency, it actually slows down the cooling process for me

You should be able to find barbed garden hose fittings to match the tubing that's included if the supplied ones are wrong

Sure, it goes faster using ice from the get go. You also use 20+ pounds of it for a 5 gallon batch!

Recirculation when the output water temp is above 100-120F kills even more ice, with 0 return! That hot water should be routed into a couple buckets for clean up.

To each their own, I use the water to clean up with as well

Another thing when using an immersion cooler is to move it around every few minutes to maximize cooling. If you just let it sit in same place it takes much longer

Or gently swirl the wort in the kettle

You can tell by grabbing both ends of the coil. When both are cold move it around and the exit part will get real hot again

Plus this can help aerate it as well

Give them a call. I visit this store all the time and they have a bunch of parts in the back to make what ever you want. It says NY but the store is in CT.

I had a lot of trouble finding a way to connect the wort chiller up to the hoses and the faucet. I went to 4 hardware stores and wasted a lot of time. The best thing to do is talk to a person in a homebrew store to make sure you are getting the correct items.

I am looking to purchase my first wort chiller from the NY Brew Supply. It is their SS wort chiller:

https://www.nybrewsupply.com/collec...with-garden-hose-fittings?variant=42199974356

I am planning on connecting this to a submersible pump and am wondering if it will have one male and one female hose fittings, or if it comes with additional fittings so that I can have two female?

I am also purchasing the clamps, hose barbs, hose, hose adaptors, etc and it takes 3 weeks for stuff to ship to me because I don't live in the U.S. so I want to get it right.

From looking at the picture it seems like there is one male and one female hose fitting but I wanted to make sure.

I have one of theirs, great unit and everything you say is correct.

Back