Wort boiling amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enf0rc3r

Reaction score
I would like to try the banana bread ale "mistake" in the recipe forum. I don't have the means to boil 5 gallons. Can I just do a 3.5 boil and achieve the same results? Thanks

All ingredients are scalable. Just multiply everything by 3.5/5 to get keep all of the ratios the same (grain, hops, water volumes, etc.).

Good luck!

Sorry, do you want a 5 gal batch from a 3.5 gal boil (called a partial boil)? Or are you making a 3.5gal batch with a 3.5 gal boil (full boil)? If you are doing the latter, listen to the previous post. If the former, yeah, you can do it. There may be some effects due to the smaller boil (in general, beer benefits from a fuller boil).

Sorry, misread. As long as you are above the 1.25 qt/lb of grain level to get good enzyme production, thus good conversion rates, you're fine. Just top off with water at the end like you were doing extract.

Back