Wort Airation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeegod

Reaction score
Does anyone use an airstone to pump air into wort? How well does it work? Is the airstone necessary or could I just drop a santinzed tube into the wort and let fly. I have access to medical grade o2. (I just unhook grandma for a couple of hours:D)

It is very common practice to use an airstone to aerate your wort. I have use the gravity method since the end of my CFC sits 3-4 ft from the bottom of the bucket. I just let it fall from the CFC into the bucket and usually have lots of aeration.

I screwed a 1/2 brass (almost 3/8' id) PEX elbow into my kettle's ball valve. I tickled it open a tad bit more with a 3/8" drill. I then took a piece of 3/8" od copper tube, it fits snuggly into the molested PEX fitting, and soldered a #12 piece of copper wire for use as a bail over the ball valve (just in case it were to come loose, it won't fall into the carboy or bucket). On the discharge end, I soldered another piece of copper wire and onto this, a piece of flattened copper ( it has a small convex dimple in the center) the size of a nickel. The wort comes out the end of the tube, drops 2" onto the copper disk, and sprays out. I end up with 2-3" of foam!! This seems to give me fast start times. It pulls out of the PEX fitting for easy cleaning.

Back