Wort aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjm02c

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some sort of wort aeration setup so I can pump O2 into my wort rather than shaking. I know I can get a small oxygen tank at home depot, but I'm not sure what I need after that. Can I just basically get any hose hook up or is there something specific I should be looking for to actually pump in the oxygen?

You'll need a regulator to attach to the tank (careful, they're reverse threaded). After that, you can just attach a hose if you want. Personally, I'd go right for the "premium" option which is something like this:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/oxywand-oxygenation-kit-05-micron.html

Williams Brewing has a nice set too which is actually the one I own, and I'm sure other sites have them as well. The wand is really nice because it's a lot easier to maneuver than a hose submerged in wort. It's surprising how annoying a curved hose can be!

Edit: Oh! Save yourself the trouble and buy two O2 tanks at HD. You'll thank yourself when that first tank runs out on a future batch.

Cool, thanks for the info! And good call on the extra tank lol

+1 on the wand type. My first air stone was just the stone on the end of the tubing and it had a tendency to float to the top. I definitely like the wand better.

I just use a hand mixer to aerate my wort. It generates a nice foam layer on top and is a lot easier than shaking especially in a bucket.

Agree with above...I've aerated and not aerated many times and never noticed a difference in takeoff times or the finished product...When I did I used a paint mixer on a drill. It forms a vortex and you can actually hear the air getting sucked in...Cheap and easy

I use a cheap aquarium pump with a airstone and an inline HEPA filter I got at Austin homebrew. The whole setup was about $20

Although I agree with the last 2 posts I don't notice a difference when I use it and when I don't so I'm glad I only have $20 invested in it.

Paint stirrer/joint compound mixer and drill were what I used to use prior to going to a 0.5 micron stone and O2 bottle from HD. I totally agree with @microbusbrewery on the wand versus tubing, for the same reason of curling/floating. Both ways produce beer. Both ways produce beer people like. I've no proof one versus the other method provided better lag times, off flavors, final attenuations or general beer karma, one versus the other.

I will, with 100% certainty, say that the O2/stone method is insanely less messy than the inevitable slip-off-the-trigger-finger on a drill and a paint stirrer method. I got so tired of cleaning the walls.

Not a huge thing in non high gravity wort with a proper pitch.
Now, if your trying to make 10g of imperial something, it can make a difference. Once you have a $60 1.1 brew stall at 1.035, you'll reconsider not having O2.

Dr. Chris White would disagree with the above statements :D but I'm not here to poke the bear. I use an air stone with 02 tank @ 4LPM for 90 seconds, it does the job. If you got a smoker in the family that uses oxygen you could have a free system there :p I also think places like andyoxy sell 02 tanks and just charge for switchout just like CO2 tanks but I could be wrong.

Not a huge thing in non high gravity wort with a proper pitch.
Now, if your trying to make 10g of imperial something, it can make a difference. Once you have a $60 1.1 brew stall at 1.035, you'll reconsider not having O2.

Yeah I'm looking to make a fairly high gravity stout next month so figured something to help aerate couldn't hurt. Not sure how much value it actually adds compared to other cheap/free options, but I was bored at work and looking for something to buy lol

Yeah I'm looking to make a fairly high gravity stout next month so figured something to help aerate couldn't hurt. Not sure how much value it actually adds compared to other cheap/free options, but I was bored at work and looking for something to buy lol

I found a cheap o2 tank locally and added one of these

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/351998442738

They are much less touchy than welding regulators.
I run a not stone in a tee that I camlock onto my kettle out after chinning.

Back