Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
21st Amendment "hell or high watermellon". Tasted like vinegar with dish soap in it. I like everything else from this brewery, but they missed the mark with this one

I second this, so glad I only bought 1 instead of a 6 pack. that was horrid. I think we can write watermelon off, don't add it to beer, ever!

Tesco's Value brand lager in the UK. 29p a can in 2003, 1.8% abv. Tasted like Bud, but without the benefit of getting you drunk.

I've also had plenty of off cask ales, but that's the cellarman's fault, not the brewery.

Hate to say this because I love Magic Hat....but their Seance Saison Ale is absolutely horrible. My first batch of beer (Midwest's Irish Stout) which I ended up dumping (after making a LOAD of mistakes on) tasted better than this beer. This cherry wood smoked "saison" tastes like the "brewers yeast" you buy from the grocery store to help with digestion problems....it's awful.

A Sarnac 12 pack mixer is my all time worst. 6 different terrible beers followed by some beer from Sherwood forest brewing or something like that.

There's an unnamed light lager making the rounds of Wuhan in massively undercarbonated wooden barrels. Whenever you get it at a restaurant, it's served at room temperature since they don't have anything to cool the barrel. It would be the worst beer I had ever drunk fully carbed at 34 degrees Fahrenheit, but with almost zero carbonation and served in the mid-seventies, it's upgraded to top five horrible things I've ever put in my mouth.

Probably Maxx Blonde, I've had quite a few of them as the local bottle shops often almost give them away with the purchase of a six-pack of other beer. They're very malty (in a bad way) and have a stale/damp kind of taste, can't think of any reason why anyone would buy them on purpose.

Wow, I quite enjoy Dos Equis on tap at my local Mexican restaurant. If I had a choice between that and BMC the Dos wins hands down. Now on to a truly disgusting beer, try (or don't) some Victory Golden Monkey. Imagine sticking a straw into your yeast cake and sucking in a mouthful of trub.

Oh man I like Golden Monkey....

Magic Hat "Cucumber Hibiscus" beer. Both my buddy and I spit it out. I'm not one to toss a beer, but I dumped the beer and kept the bottle.

Harp. Or Stewart's beer- Mountain something or another...
"Mountain Brew," that was the name. Pretty sure it's only available at Stewart's which is sort of an upstate NY ghetto 7-Eleven.

Reibenbach

Regular price for a 12 pack was around $4 here in California...that speak volumes...

In college, we would pass it by for Natural Ice or Natural Light...which also should speak volumes...

Blue Moon's pumpkin deal. A clone would have to involve chewable asprin. They held back on the cinnamon, to their credit--usually bad pumpkin beer is heavy on cinnamon. Kinda wish this were just a normal, bad pumpkin beer though.

I drank a Chili Beer once. It's basically a light ale with a really spicy beer crammed inside. It burnt like fire going down.

I knew it would suck, but Man Law says when a guy tells you to drink a beer, you drink a beer.

:ban:

I'd have to say Red Horse beer brewed by San Miguel Brewing in the Philippines was the worst beer ever. It's a malt liquor beer I had when I was there on a port visit in the Navy. YUCK!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

To be honest Budweiser and Miller Genuine Draft are the two worst I've ever tried. Hell, I think Premium Grainbelt was better.

Sent from my iPhone using Magic and deception.

My wife and I went up to Montreal 5 years ago... There was a brewpub close to our hotel, the very first beer I had was the most wretched thing I ever drank in my life...

Brutopia Nigerian Nectar

It tasted of peaches soaked in tobacco... Horrid.

To be fair the rest of their beers were pretty good.

Steel Reserve is pretty awful as well.

A new addition for me is "Crime" from Stone's 'Crime and Punnishment' series. Maybe if you're in to melting your face off and killing your taste buds by drinking pure cayenne mixed with some sort of hoppy malt-water, then it's good. But otherwise, no. To be avoided at all costs, especailly the highly inflated "but it's from Stone" pricetag it's sold at.

A new addition for me is "Crime" from Stone's 'Crime and Punnishment' series. Maybe if you're in to melting your face off and killing your taste buds by drinking pure cayenne mixed with some sort of hoppy malt-water, then it's good. But otherwise, no. To be avoided at all costs, especailly the highly inflated "but it's from Stone" pricetag it's sold at.

Yeah, Crime and Punishment were terrible beers. The cool thing for SUPER beer nerds out there at the moment is to claim they like it. No way...

On that pepper theme... DuClaw's Cocoa Fuego (Dark Chocolate Chipotle Stout)... nope. Couldnt do it. I know some people like it but i had a warm-ish one and it tasted like drinking a carbonated mole sauce. Gross.

Yeah, Crime and Punishment were terrible beers. The cool thing for SUPER beer nerds out there at the moment is to claim they like it. No way...

I consider myself a super beer nerd and I couldn't stand Crime. Way too much heat to make it enjoyable. I split a bottle with a few friends and couldn't finish my glass. I took the Punishment and put it in my cellar fridge hoping some age will mellow it out.

I almost find it ironic that I find Erdinger Dunkel to be the worst beer I've had considering that Erdinger Weissbier is my favourite.
Close second is Innis and Gunn. Really don't like the oak aged taste.

Worst beer I have ever had is Kid Rock's American Bad..... It is the ONLY beer I have ever dumped. And I have had some nasty beers back in college. I would rather drink a warm Busch Light than that horrid beer.

When I lived in Michigan I bought a 12 pack of Michigan Beers and 2 of those were in there. I had 1 sip and dumped it. A buddy of mine was determined to finish the other one. He chased every sip with another beer.

I consider myself a super beer nerd and I couldn't stand Crime. Way too much heat to make it enjoyable. I split a bottle with a few friends and couldn't finish my glass. I took the Punishment and put it in my cellar fridge hoping some age will mellow it out.

I would be amazed if age mellowed out Punishment. I split a bomber with two friends and could only take a few sips. I enjoy balanced spicy foods and drinks, and I've made a few beers with peppers in them with noticeable heat. But Punishment was aptly named for me, I felt like I had wronged someone and karma caught up to me to ruin my otherwise enjoyable night with a horrible beer. Really glad I didn't pay for it.

Back